Computer starts, but doesnt run..

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I would like to say I have a understanding of computers to the point where I built my computer, but no formal training or complete understanding of the devices in my computer.

Late on Saterday night my computer randomly (No problems before) shut off and a strange smell came from the Power Supply. Naturally i disconnected everything and tryed a 300W powersupply I had laying around in hopes that my computer would start back up, not the case. I then tryed a 430 Watt Powersupply that I barrowed from a friend. Same result, all the fans turned on like everything was okay, the moniter light flashed green for a split second but then went back to orange, and the normal *beep* that plays never sounded while the fans just sat there blowing.

So onto troubleshooting I re-checked all the wires were plugged in correctly, re-seated the ram, took off the cpu fan(probably a mistake) and noticed what appears to be a burn mark on the plastic mount for the cpu.

Id like to get some other opinions on my problem, (What do I need to fix this?) (How can I prevent similar things from happening agian?) My best guess is the motherboard is blown, but before rushing out and spending money I would like to make sure that it will really fix the problem. Likewise if there is anything else to try Im open to it.

comp specs:
3.2 Ghz Intel Processor
2x 512 MB duel channel Ram
400 Watt MGE PSU
Gigabite (?model) Motherboard

Thanks,
David

agreed

have you checked if the motherboard gives off any lights?
im thinking the cpu gave out because of the burnt mark you mentioned

Yes the processor is another thing im looking at, is there anyway to test the motherboard/ram without the computer running?

I want to know what to order, sorry for my ignorance

It seems like the computer is fried. Did you have a lot of expansion cards in the computer, or did you have any power outs that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back