Computer starts by itself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Hi there,

My pc won't start when I turn it on, instead it waits for two or three minutes after I have pressed the start button and then starts. In addition to this when I go to shut it down, it turns off properly only to start two or three minutes later all by itself! Its seems to have a mind of its own! :dead:

Anyway my set up is as follows:

AMD 3Ghz 939 CPU
Nforce 4 Gigabyte G8-K8NF-9 Mobo
1 gig Kingston DDR 400 Mhz running in dual channel
80 Gig HD
X800 Sapphire PCI 256Mb Graphics card
400w Power Supply

I have all the latest drivers and the temp of my pc is good, low I'd say at around 38. If anyone could help me I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

has it always done this or did this just start happening recently??

what operating system do you use?

have you checked your bios settings? have you flashed to the newest bios?

Thanks for the reply. It only started happening about a week ago and has never happened before. I'm using Woindows XP Professional as I always have done. I haven't checked bios settings as not sure what I should do with the Bios and a bit apprehensive about flashing. The pc is only about 8 months old in total so fairly new bios.

ok, since this just started happening, i would try system restore first

to use system restore, click the start menu/programs/accessories/systemtools/system restore. choose a date prior to when this problem began.

if that doesn't work, or you dont want to use system restore... go into your bios -to get into the bios, you must press a key, usually F1, F2, or DEL key (but will depend on your Mobo and bios), while the computer is booting, before it posts and long before it loads windows

once you're in the bios menu, the timed start-up and shut-down options are usally either in the first window/page or under a power tab. te easiest way to set the bios is go to the exit screen and tell it to load defaults or optimized defaults, if it is a bios setting, this should take care of it

I actually formatted my HD yesterday and reinstalled windows although it hasn't had any effect. Tried setting bios to default but no effect, still does it. Pretty annoying!

you may have a faulty power supply in general, do you have another PSU that you could try. who makes your PSU and how many amps can it provide on the +12V rail? (usually on a sticker on the side if the PSU)

Tested power switch and not that. I don't have another psu unfortunately. For 12V it reads 20A. Not sure about the make as came with the case, probably not that good.

Did you ever resolve this issue?

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue, since I seem to have exactly the same problem!

Computer doesn't start always first time, but then when you push the power button it sometimes then starts 2-3mins later...

Any ideas?

Yeah I solved the problem, it was my power pack. Have since upgraded to a Tagan 480W power pack and its been great. Very quiet and stable. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back