Computer suddenly running REALLY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

A week or two ago, I was sat playing some game on ebaumsworld.com, well of a sudden my computer froze, stuttered a little bit, and from then it has gone seriously slow.

I can't watch videos on youtube, or listen to music as it's all broken and stuttering.

It takes an age to turn on, and I can only really run one or two programs at once. Before I could have Windows Media player open, youtube, Outlook Express and Dreamweaver without any noticable lag.

I'm protected by an up-to-date Norton system, and have ran several scans. It does bring up one or two "issues", but these can't be resolved and when you check the Norton website it says they are of a 'low threat'. I did try and delete them manually, and am running a scan now to see if Norton is picking them up.

I have ran HijackThis in the last 20 minutes, and attached the log.

I have also ran CCleaner, AVG Anti-Spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. Nothing in particular is thrown up.

As well as this, I completed a full disk defrag last weekend. No major improvements.

Computer Specs:

• Acer Aspire 5633WLMI laptop
  • Interl Core 2 Duo processor T5500 (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • 120GB HDD
  • 1GB DDR2

C drive has 18.6GB of free space (out of 53.1GB) and the D drive has 45.7GB of free space (out of 53.6GB).

I know the C drive could be emptier, but I installed nothing new on or around the time that the computer slowed down.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Many thanks

Dan

Hello, dans107, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, you can fix these entries because they have been deactivated:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

However this is a nasty and probably the cause of your problem should be fixed:
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [none] C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\pmsngr.exe

This has probably fixed your problem but you shoudl still follow these instructions Virus/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and attach your new logs as attachments to this thread and let me know the result of the Panda Antirootkit scan. Post a new HJT log anyway to make sure that the entry hasn't come back.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Video ActiveX Object
PartyGaming
PartyPoker

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

pmsngr.exe
RunApp.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [none] C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\pmsngr.exe

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\Program Files\PartyGaming
C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as Attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of dans107 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey

Thanks for your help so far.

Please find attached new HJT and Comboxfix logs. The Panda Antirootkit showed nothing.

I am in the process of completing a new AVG Antispyware scan. I did one, but mistakenly didn't save the report. There were several tracking cookies thrown up, all deleted, and one other file, which was quarantined - 'Backdoor.C99Shell.l'

I will upload the report of the new scan once completed.

Tried saving a AVG scan, but it won't let me. Even after enabling the save scan feature :(

Can you help any further? I still have this problem!

Dan

Sorry, mate, howard has left the forum so I'll carry on helping you now.

I'll take a look through your logs now. I haven't used AVG AS recently so I'll look into it and why you can't save the log and let you know what to do.

Edit: Your HJT log looks clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back