Computer to Computer Data Transfer

By GHOwner
Dec 28, 2006
  1. Well, I got a new computer from the holidays, and a nice one at that. A Gateway (GM5260) which has a Intel Core Duo 2, 2048mb of DDR2 Duel-Channeled RAM, 320gb HDD, etc.

Now, I am trying to get all the information off my 120gb (like 30gb or less) HDD of my old computer onto my new computer's HDD. My question, being I've never had such a task before, how should I go about doing this?

2. Kevin16

Kevin16 TS Rookie Posts: 92

I think the best way to do this is to hook ur old drive to your new computer and simply copy the files you want over to the new drive.

If the drive is SATA, you just need to plug it in. If it is an IDE you will need to change the drive from master to slave.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

use a cross-over cable if both have ethernet ports, or (old school) use a serial cable (much slower)- you will have to create a local network. A cross-over cable is a special kind of cat-5 cable with two sets of data cables reversed. You cannot use regular cat-5 cable. Any computer store will sell it.

The easiest way is to use an external hard drive.
  4. GHOwner

GHOwner TS Rookie Topic Starter

I think I'll try what Kevin16 has suggested, as it would be the most convient. Also, I think it is a SATA. Plus the old computer is as the title says... "old." It has no faster USB ports or so, not even a network card slot. Very basic computer, so taking out it's 2 year old hard drive works fine with me (I got the computer in 2001).

Thanks for the help guys.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.