Computer too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaorichan2002

Title says its slow.
I say its slower.
Does anyone know a way to see how fast the ram is going. I have hardly any programs and its slower than i am at math. Please help.
Dell 2400
ram: 256mb

I also heard a way to tweak the ram's speed in the bios, If anyone knows how to get into the bios and can tell me how to do this i'd gladly appriciate it.

I wouldnt mess about in the BIOS with the RAM timings. You say your computer is slower. Sine when?

Whens the last time you have ran a Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragment. If you haven't done that in a while then do it ASAP.

What Firewall and ANtivirus software are you running? If you are running none or using Norton then instead download the free AVG and Zonealarm.

Go to the security and the Web forum here on TS, then read and follow the stickies. You may have a spyware problem.

Also you should ideally have 512MB of RAM. So it would be advisable to invest in one other 256mb RAM stick.

Well i cant get any more ram... im seriously in enough of a pickle till im out of school finally. so that means no new computer, no computer parts.
No spyware i had checked alot. I just ran the defragmenter. I really want to do the bios thing. Im wondering if commit charge is actually how much it will run cause if thats the case then, the default drive is only 64 mb O_o;
the commit charge on a regular timing is 371236k/644212k

oh and i dont trust any online virus things...

I seriously need something done to this ugly thing.

how long has it been since you reinstalled windows? I reformat about every 66monts, gets rid of all the junk that windows accumualte over time, and deltes any traces of viurses or spyware:)

...AMD

ohh, never mind then:) download and run CCleaner from a trusted site like www.download.com this deletes junk that windows accumulates and even delets old registry files. it always sppeds up my system. The first time i used it, it freed up 600MB of Windows Junk

...AMD

Have you followed the stickies in the Security and the Web forum and posted a Hijack This log in there?

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
how long has it been since you reinstalled windows? I reformat about every 66monts, gets rid of all the junk that windows accumualte over time, and deltes any traces of viurses or spyware:)

...AMD
uhh? every 66 months? thats a scary long time AMD... lol :p

Hmm.. imagine that. Someone has already made an indepth tutorial on how to solve your problem..
Tutorial: How to speed up your pc for free
And adding to that, you may aslo want to review your unecesary startup programs, and disable them from the program itself, or if unavailable through [start>run>msconfig]. As well as uninstalling those programs which you dont use anymore.

Question. Do you have onboard graphics?

Go to safe mode and uninstall Norton. Pick up a Norton Cleaner app from the net after you've uninstalled it. Go offline and install AVG and a firewall of your choice if you dont already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back