Computer Turns Itself Off After 3-4hr Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This computer is no more than two days old since i built it, the following parts were re-used which i purchased brand new (about 5-6months old):

ATI X800
300GB (2 Maxtor non-RAID)
37GB Western Digital Raptor Drive
Sound Audidy 2 ZS
Asus QuestTrack CD-RW 52x32x52x
NEC 3540A
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3000AXBOX
Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

These parts I purchased anew:
ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX
Thermaltake Pure Power W0073RU ATX 520W

And my case is a ThermalTake Kandalf.

Now, the problem is the computer turns itself off every 3-4hours within use, It does not overheat, Mobo+CPU stay in low 30C's and HDDs stay in high 20C's.

It doesn't turn off at any certain cpu level usuage. I took off hibernation, and this mobo (i think, i replaced the old one, same model, because my old psu

kinda fried it...) doesn't have any feature turned on telling the computer to turn itself off every few hours. And I unfortunately, accidently, threw

the box to the mobo out but i have all the other boxes to the stuff i got 6 months ago so a RMA is kinda outta the question... unless newegg doesn't mind me

wrapping it in something and sending it to them. I don't know if the MOBO is defective... yet( I hope its a setting or something i overlooked) any suggestions?

I would still say it's overheating.
Check and double-check the thermal paste between CPU and CPU-cooler.
Check that the fan on the GFX-card is working properly.
Check that any extra powercables are connected from PSU->mobo and PSU->GFX-card.
Run the PC with the case open, to see if that improves the running-time.
If the latter, add another extraction-fan in the back of your PC.

Check and double-check the thermal paste between CPU and CPU-cooler.
I put as much as possible without it making ooze from the sides (Its Arctic Silver 5 , ThermalTake XP120 for a heatsink, and a Panaflo 120mm on the heatsink)

Check that the fan on the GFX-card is working properly.
It does, and i have a PCI fan 1 slot down blowing the air that comes from the GFX card out.

Check that any extra powercables are connected from PSU->mobo and PSU->GFX-card.
This powersupply has like a substation where one plug from the powersupply goes to it (the substation is fit into a 5.25" drive) and from there you connect everything else, so its minimal wiring because you only connect as many cables as you need to from the substation to the drives,mobo, etc.

Run the PC with the case open, to see if that improves the running-time.
I'll try it and see if it works, can't do any harm but still this thing is pretty cool heres a screenshot from SpeedFan 4.26 showing the temperture of my mobo (Temp 2, and CPU, Temp1)
Screenshot.jpg

If the latter, add another extraction-fan in the back of your PC.
This already has a 120mm at the back of the case, it also has this special case where the powersupply is to add an extra 3 more harddrives with a 80mm fan blowing out (the powersupply is fitted vertically instead of horizontally) and there is a cage at the lower front part of the case (where you usually put your HDs) where you fit 3 more hds which has a 80mm fan blowing into the case. I stationed one harddrive in the center cage where the powersupply is, and my main raptor drive on the lower front part on the top of that encaging and the other on the bottom of that to minimize heat.

On the Desktop, rightclick My Computer and select Manage.
Then select System Tools/Event Viewer and then each Applications and System.
Any indications of what goes amiss there, coinciding with the switch-off time of the PC?

Just in case....

Did you check ALL your Power Options Properties in the Control Panel? Also some BIOS have features for this too. I'm suggestioning this because it doesn't sound like the computer is crashing and restarting, rather it's actually shut down , i.e. Windows shut down proper?) Which would indicate not a thermal issue but some settings issues.

Ok after alot of looking, it turns out its the powersupply, the 5V was unstable and caused the computer to turn itself off. Thanks lots for the help i fixed a few other things with the advice given.

Much Appreciated,
Chris

you put as much thermal paste on as you could???

I have heard you only need the smallest 'pea size amount' otherwise it wont be doing its job properly :)

Just some advice, maybe wrong but sounds like u got too much :)

I have the same problem with you and i think it's the PSU problem. I'm not sure yet because i waiting for newegg sending another new one for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back