TechSpot

Computer turns itself off when CPU becomes idle

By wtwelchjr
Apr 28, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Help! I have a problem that I've never seen and hope to never see again. I'm working on an HP Pavilion 533w that I've replaced a faulty Hard Drive. I installed an OEM version of Windows XP home. However, when the cpu becomes idle, power to the MOBO is turned off. The CPU fan and the case fan shut down, but the LED on the keyboard and on the front of the case indicate that there is still power on. Also the fan on the PS unit is still running. As long as I'm playing a game, browsing the internet etc, it will run, but will shut itself off after mere minutes of going idle at the desktop. I've swapped out the memory chip and it still does the same thing. I've even swapped out the PS unit and it still does the same thing.
    Thanks,

2. fullmetalvegan

fullmetalvegan TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Hmm... sounds like some sort of power saving option, do you know whether you have any of these turned on? It may be putting it into some kind of hibernation mode when idle, I'm not really sure. =S

In XP I'm not sure where you find it, but on Vista it's accessible through right-click desktop, personalize (properties on xp?), screen saver, change power settings under power management.

3. wtwelchjr

wtwelchjr TS Rookie Topic Starter

I thought of that and changed everything so that the power would stay on, but to no avail. I've never seen anything quite like this before. Thanks for your suggestion.

4. BlackKnight8

BlackKnight8 TS Rookie

Hi,
    This is my first time on the forum, I hope I can be of some help.

Have you tried " Control Panel " Power Options, and reset the options,

Set :- Turn off the Monitor to around 15 Minutes, and the rest set to NEVER.
    Regards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.