Computer turns on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my computer for a couple of months, and it's been great so far. However, the other day I removed the DVD drive because it was getting jammed. It might not be because of that, but now the PC keeps turning off after a few seconds of the loaded desktop. It boots fine, loads fine, the desktop comes up perfectly, but after a few seconds the mouse lags and then the computer reboots with no errors or anything. What could it be? It runs fine in safe mode.

Check the power supply connections first

There are are four connections I'd look at first. There's a square connector with four wires and a clip, usually near the processor; and there's a big rectangular connector with 24 pins that I'd check. These are the power connectors.

After that, I would check the two connectors to the hard drive.

Still having problems after that? Then I would suspect something in the operating system is telling it to shut off.

check your event and logs and dump files if you have any. you can acces these in safe mode. I don't think its the power supply since it works in safe mode. also in the advance system properties startup and recover section, you can specify the default behavior for your system in the event of a crash. its set to reboot by default.

Are you running Windows Vista? I've been curious to see what the consequence is for removing a DVD Drive given its a requirement for the OS. I currently get away with using a USB one, but I have yet to actually try and boot the machine without it. I'll give it a shot right now and report back since I got time on my hands.

EDIT: Thats a no go, my desktop has been on for a few minutes and Windows hasn't said a thing.

I'd check connections everywhere around where you moved stuff, anything can get knocked around or loose, especially if you haven't ensured they are all tightened down before. Also, if your running on an IDE cable, make sure that you use both ends if the Slave plug is in anything, otherwise only use the Master, that is unlikely but worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back