Computer VS. Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, I just built a new computer over the summer. I was wondering how this thing stacks up to an Xbox 360.
My Specs are as Follows
-nvidia 7800 gtx
-2x 512 ocz timing 2-2-2-5 ram running in dual channel
-Amd 64 3500+ processor
-Abit An8 SLI Motherboard
-CRT screen capable of 1600 by 1200 resolution

I think that thats everything of any system performance importance.
[CENTER]THX![/CENTER] :approve:

Can't compare them really though because of the different way both perform. But, given a choice, I think the Xbox 360 would win hands down.

It's a great PC. I think it's on pair with the xbox360, just see how NFS: Most Wanted looks on both systems.

Comp. all the way

Your PC is definatly better than the 360 especially with a 7800gtx there is no comparison. To take advantage of the 360's full graphix power youll need a super nice flat screen tv anyway which is a lot of money if you dont already have one. Buying a Flat screen tv and getting the 360 will probrobly cost more than your current system anyway.

Nice PC ;)

thank you to all. Google fight is pretty awesome. but are you sure that the 360's 3 processors wouldn't come out ontop of my 1 processor?
- o yeah, now i actually have an avatar of me at holloween in 2003. evilness :giddy:

The 360 will never be any better than any computer, consoles will always be behind the general computer. I don't know about your computer, but, i'lll say yes in that it won the googlefight, and that it has a damn nice graphics card.

It's quite clear that value wise a pc may be better than the 360.ps3 will have better graphics in games and better selection. this is a tough fight.

yea a pc V. the ps3 would be a better fight. nobody really knows what a ps3 will do for sure but then again who knows what kind of processors of video cards will come out next year

but i heard that the ps3's gpu will only be slightly stronger than a 6800 ultra. and who is going to be able to program for the ps3's crazy cell processor?

The guys at Konami surely will. MGS4 already looks fantastic. Won't take long before other great-looking games come out on the PS3. But the Xbox 360 is looking nice too, especially Halo 3, Project Gotham Racing 4 and Perfect Dark Zero, among others.

Well, your computer is about on par with Xbox360...

You see, the Xbox 360 would blow your computer away if it had 1GB of memory, instead of 512MB shared memory...

Round one:
A64 3500+ is pretty good, but Xbox 360's three-core CPU (each core running at 3.2GHz) is definately faster, hands down.
A64 3500+ beats crap out of one of these cores (it almost performs at the level of two of these cores together), however, it cannot beat three-cores, especially if the program has properly been coded for multi-threading.
So Xbox 360 CPU > A64 3500+

Round two:
7800GTX vs XENOS
7800GTX has 24 pp and 8 vp, XENOS on the other hand has 48 parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines - so called Unified shader architecture.
The unified architecture aint as nearly as strong as dedicated pipelines - 48 UA pipelines operating as pp will equal 32 or less dedicated/real pp for example, however, keep in mind that a huge advantage is that you can switch on the fly between pp and vp on UA pipelines, giving you a tremendous perfomance boost. You can instruct how many UA pipelines should act as pp, and how many as vp, a great advantage for sure, not to mention 10MB of embedded RAM - which offers practicaly free AF/AA and gives a huge boost to fillrate...
I won't throw around any numbers, because they tend to be very uncertain and a pure product of PR.
But in short, just because of these two things above XENOS is better than the 7800GTX. Thats why Nvidia admitted UA is the way to go, and will base it's future products on it.
So, XENOS > 7800GTX.

Round three:
Memory, well here's where Xbox 360 falls really, really short.
The have gone for the unified memory architecture, but that aint so great as UA for GPU pipelines. It has a total of 512MB which are shared between the system and GPU, the good thing is you can have more than 256MB for textures, the bad thing is that you have a total of 512MB to begin with (just remember how FEAR has a distinct improvement when going from 1GB to 2GB, and Xbox 360 has only 512MB!), and the second, you have to share that memory between the CPU and GPU effectively.
Your 1GB system memory + 256MB dedicated GPU memory on 7800GTX sure beats the hell out of the Xbox 360 memory subsystem, it may not be faster, but the amount it self is able to give a clear advantage with demanding games...
So your memory subsystem in general > Xbox 360's

The third part plays a really major role - even when developers start optimizing for three cores effectively, they are still going to miss the RAM, and a LOT of it. - If they assign 256MB to GPU, that only leaves 256MB for the rest of the system, and 256MB aint enough for next-gen games, even if you dont have windows running in the background...

So all in all, your computer should be in most cases on par with Xbox 360 in next-gen games, cause they wont have enough memory to show Xbox 360's potential, and it's truly a great system - the UA for the pipelines is something I have been looking forward for years...
However, the UA applied on the memory subsystem is also a great idea, but you have to make sure there's enough RAM for both CPU and GPU in the case they are being loaded with lots of data, 768MB perhaps would have been enough, 1GB really great, however, 512MB is one of the reasons Xbox 360 games wont look as they are supposed to.
I know it had to be done to cut costs, but still...

However, your system is still great, no doubt about it, and the fact you can ugrade to a second 7800GTX will give you a nice performance boost :), then you will definately outperform the Xbox 360.

Woa, I would have never thought a console could beat a PC in performance. That just doesn't sound right. But then again, about the time the SNES came out, I wonder if PCs were even as graphically strong in those days?

Other things will eek the 360 out of place however. When you consider the fact of PC being upgradable, using images to store your games locally and save your CDs, downloading umpteen mods and updates for your games, keeping things lively. Using more accessories such as wheels, joystick, gaming keyboards and mice, more keys and customizations.
And then on top just having a PC so it can do so many other things as well. So with that, I'd rather buy a PC for gaming then a console any day, given the either/or choice. Plus on a PC you have a zillion free games you can load, betas, trials, and cheap online purchases, that keep your gaming lively, which any console you just have to keep buying games 1 by 1.

The previous post does raise one simple question though. And that is; did they make the system RAM upgradable? Seems like the logical thing to do. Remove a stick to save money, sell it later as an aftermarket upgrade.

@Vigilante
No, memory is not upgradeable, because it would defeat one of the general console purposes - provide everyone with the same experience at no extra cost. And it would be difficult for developers to work for two types of the same console... When the console hardware is set and non-changeable the developers know their software will run equally good on all consoles, it makes your life as a developer much easier, as you need to optimize for just one type of system.
And giving that kind of upgradeability would make it much closer to normal computers, which is also one of the things consoles dont want to come near...

The consoles are all but PCs now anyway. I eagerly await the day we see a BSOD on someone's TV during a heated battle. Or maybe it's already happened...

You really cannot compare PC's to consoles... it's an unfair and lopsided comparison.

PC's have flexibility, expandability and usually games are much, much more user configurable to tweak settings and details widely. If you have enough cash, you can pretty much adjust games to the moon if desired.

Consoles lack that flexibility, zilch expandability and games are usually much, much less user configurable. They trade this for superior compatibility, stability and consistency in software quality.

I use and own both. I like the zero-hassle and ease of console gaming, but also like some titles at 1600x1200 with AA/AF and all the trimmings. Most PC games rival or exceed console games, especially with newer consoles as developers get more familiar with the set hardware. Anything on the PC that doesn't rival the console is simply the fault of the developers- NOT the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back