Computer Weirdness (vid card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech423

For some odd reason, while I play a game such as "Battlefield 2" after a certain amount of time my screen goes black and the computer is disabled. The computer is still on but nothing appears on the screen. When I manually restart the computer, once windows loads up I am stuck with a screen of pixels with many colors. I have attached a picture of the screen I am viewing after an incident of such occurs. Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thank You. :(

Attachments

• somebow.jpg
    somebow.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 11
Ok well, when you say 'specs' my understandings are telling me you need this info.. AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ 1.80 GHz 1.00 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT

I agree with PhilC2005 above. The first two things I'd look at are:

1. Is your video card overheating? Try running with the case door open and a house fan blowing directly on your video card. See if that lessens the problem. If so, you have a heat problem (is the fan moving on the card?).

2. Your PSU may be going wacky. Is it a no-name PSU?

Well my comp is custom built for i wanted to hand pick my desires :/. The fan on the video card is in motion. I noticed a wire from the panel fan in contact with the video card chip. I seperated them and am waiting for something to happen. Thanks for the tips, I will reply if i do encounter the problem

Well unfortunatley the problem has yet to dissapear. I am really starting to think my card is defective. What a waste of about $270.

DonNagual: Yes the power connector is directly plugged into the vid card. As for figuring out what make my PSU is and the watts, Im still working on that (not too oriented with computers). I downloaded the program you gave and i got stuck on the part where it asks you to choose your board. I spoke with the guy who built my computer and he said my board is a Asus A8V Deluxe. When searching for that I was only successful in finding Asus A8V Deluxe Wireless Edition. There wasnt a normal Asus A8V Deluxe to choose. Ill ask around to determine the PSU details. Thank you for the help.

Nice motherboard by the way.

And yes, that program doesn't support that motherboard. It doesn't support my motherboard either (asus A8N-SLI deluxe) and I really wish it did because it is a great program for monitoring voltages.

Everest was another good one, which also has gone belly up.... Let me see if I can find another program.

In the meantime, open up your case and look at the sticker that is on your PSU. It tells you the namebrand, how many watts total, and how many amps are provided on the various rails. That's what we need to know.

the sticker at the top left.
fic3808ps08.jpg

Alright, let's try this one to check your voltage readings:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

You can use this program to see if your PSU is actually putting out 12v on the 12v rail, 5v on the 5v rail and 3.3 on the 3.3 rail etc.

If the readings are low, it means your PSU is on it's last legs, so to speak, or if it is just plain a cheap, good for nothing, beatup, popcorn maker PSU. ;)

Alright i took off the case to take a peek at the sticker. I see Total Output Wattage = 420W. Name brand is Raid Max. There is a table with AC Output Current along one line and 10A/5A underneath it. AC Output Current is as follows: +3.3V, +5V, +12V, -5V, -12V, +5Vsb. The 10A/5A is as follows corresponding with AC Output Current: 26.0A, 32.0A, 13.0A, 0.5A, 0.8A, 2.0A. Hope this helps.

If I am reading what you have written correctly, you have 13 amps on the 12v rail.

That's low if you are trying to run a 6800Gt card (very power hungry). You want to be up in the 24amp range at least.

That plus the fact that your PSU is a RaidMax (bad reputation) makes me think that your PSU is your problem (not the video card).

I ran the newly given program and if I am reading correctly I am getting 11.25V on the 12V, 3.36V on the 3.3V, and 5.01V on the 5Vsb. I doubt these numbers are low?

Yep thats the one. Everything has to revolve around money. Thanks for using up your time to help a simple-minded computer guy. Very obliged. Anyone else out there with valuable input?

I don't suppose you have another computer or a friend's computer in which you can test your video card? That would really help to troubleshoot.

A few quick searches online suggests that a PS with at LEAST 20A on the 12v rail is required for the 6800gt. Most places said 24v.

Though I can't find any definitive source for amp ratings and video cards.

So I agree with DonNagual that a new PS is in order. Whether it is your exact problem or not, to run cards like that, you need one. So go get one and don't turn back!

Good looking on that PSU at a very reasonable price DonNagual. I will try that idea of testing my video card on a friends computer before i go out spending more money. As of now, comparing prices of a PSU to a video card, I hope the cause of all this is due to the PSU. Thanks for the help fellas, Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back