Computer will no longer play movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbee4live

My computer just stopped playing movies it will not play any movie in any format. i have windows media player,Nero show time,VLC, and quicktime player. i cant even watch movies on youtube i can on any other site like break.com or meta-cafe but not youtube. i have never had any problem playing movies i have k-lite codecs pack. i cant even play dvds i have watch before on computer. any suggestions?? i am running windows 7 64bit

It sounds like your DVD drive itself has died. How old is your system? Are all drivers updated?

Okay, then let's diagnose your harddrive. HP should have a diagnostic tool to test your HD. But if you can find the make of your harddrive then go to the manufacture's website and find their free harddrive diagnostics utility.

Do you knw the make of your hd?

Good! WD has an excellent diagnostic tool. You should find it on their website. Do both short and long tests, especially the long.

I'm not saying your HD is the issue but this is a good diagnostic step regardless.

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc (just like I have it spelles) from the Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.

Also, does the Device Manager have any Yellow Triangles or Red Xs?

OK here are the errors that appear every time i attempt to play a movie with wmp. these are under the application log.

error:
Faulting application name: wmplayer.exe, version: 12.0.7600.16415, time stamp: 0x4a98ae4b
Faulting module name: atklumdisp.dll, version: 7.14.10.304, time stamp: 0x4add770d
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00006eea
Faulting process id: 0x1464
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb1b2cd3daa29c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atklumdisp.dll
Report Id: 15458bae-8720-11df-8bb9-00248c40c27a

Information:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: wmplayer.exe
P2: 12.0.7600.16415
P3: 4a98ae4b
P4: atklumdisp.dll
P5: 7.14.10.304
P6: 4add770d
P7: c00000fd
P8: 00006eea
P9:
P10:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 15458bae-8720-11df-8bb9-00248c40c27a
Report Status: 0

also VLC just shows a error message saying "VLC media player just crashed. Do you want to send a bug report to the developers team?" that's the only thing that shows when i attempt to use VLC.

OK so today i could play videos than when i restarted my computer it would no longer play movies. i think i may have a virus or something everything has been clear with avg and super antispyware.

You may be correct on the possible virus infection. Look at this link: http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=WMPlayer

Superantispyware is an excellent product but if thgis is a deep infection it may take more to determine if you are really infected or not.

I suggest going to our Virus and malware Removal forum and follow the 8 Step sticky; don't skip any of the steps. Then post there with the required logs attached.

Ok here are the three logs from the 8 steps.

Attachments

• Attach.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DDS.txt
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mbam-log-2010-07-13 (22-58-23).txt
    880 bytes · Views: 0
The logs need to be posted over at the Virus and Malware Removal forum. Give them a brief overview of what you have experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back