Computer will not detect new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
I just bought a 120G SEIDE Caviar series from WD.. Installed it and the computer now won't see the new HD ?

I tried interrupting the boosting sequence by going to the setup and checked if the HD is recognized. It's there

But it won't boot.

I am stumped.

Plugged back the old 40G HD that's acting up and it still works. So it's not a ribbon connection ..

Jumper position is still the same.

Using XP Home edition.

Help

d

No that's exactly what I wanted to do. Install a fresh XP - it's a brand new HD from Circuit City.

I tried using the Data Lifeguard tools that come with the package but how do I even access any of the drives ?

Maybe I am missing something basic here.

edit : My wordings in the first post was wrong. I meant I will be using the XP Home edition. I use that on my 40G HD

d

i think you need to hook both drives up at once so you can install windows and bios or whatever on the new one.

A factory shipped new drive has to be partitioned and formatted before the OS will recognise it.
Set the jumper to slave, run the WD software that shipped with it and you should be good to go.
You need to make the primary partition active if you are installing an OS on it.

patio. :cool:

p.s. Check and make sure the 40G is jumpered to Master and is at the end of the ribbon cable...
The new one should be jumpered as slave and set at the middle connector.
The WD software will then pick up both drives. Make sure you look at the sizes of the drive so you prep the correct drive.

Patio,

Thanks for the reply. So

Do I still keep the main old HD configured as master and then add the new HD as slave config and go from there

OR

Remove HD and plug in new HD but set in slave mode ?

Thanks

d

edit : Never mind .. I saw your edit too... thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back