Computer will not power on

HaLo2FrEeEk

I recently had a power outage (my electricity got shut off) and when I got it back on when of the first things I tried to do was turn my computer back on. Much to my chagrin, it won't. I push the power button, nothing happens. I've looked inside and though it's really dirty, I can't see anything that would prevent it from powering up. There is a green led on the mobo indicating that it is getting power, but I've even tried shorting the pins that the power button connects to, thinking it could be the button itself, and it still won't power up at all. I'm completely at a loss for why it's happening. The computer was on when the power got cut off, but that's happened before without issue (I live in Texas, power outages are a thing). Apart from cleaning the thing out, which I plan to do, can anyone help me figure out why I can't get the thing to power up, despite the fact that the led on the motherboard indicates that it's getting power? Anything will be helpful. Thank you!

Are you using a surge protector or plugging the computer directly into the electrical plug?
You can have power getting to the motherboard, but not enough power from the Power Supply to actually start the computer. My best opinion would be to replace the power supply in your computer, properly clean out the inside of the computer and make sure that you have a good surge protector.

That green LED means only that 5 volts is getting to the motherboard. A computer needs a few more voltages to operate normally. Replace the power supply and clean the inside of the computer

Unfortunately replacing the power supply isn't possible right now, my lights got cut off because I'm in a tough financial situation. Is there a way to turn on a power supply and test it? I know the the motherboard turns the PSU on, instead of the other way around like it used to be, but if I could turn the thing on outside of the computer and test all the lines, I could maybe figure out what's going on. I'm in the process of cleaning everything right now, it's long overdue especially considering that I have 2 cats and I smoke in my apartment.

I tested the PSU. It's dead :( I can't really complain too much, I bought it like 7 years ago from circuit city, but the replacement I want is $150 that I don't have right now.

I know, but that doesn't make economic sense to me, buy something for $65 that isn't what I want only to still have to pay the $150 later for what I do want.

So you are just going to let the computer lay around collecting dust till you get the money to spend on a power supply that would be overkill for that computer?

Yes. It may be overkill for this hardware, but I'm planning on upgrading everything soon and the new hardware will need more power. I've got a laptop that I can use in the meantime and I also have a 375 watt PSU that I took from another computer that I might be able to get to work temporarily.

Back