Computer will not reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom26gr8kids

A couple weeks ago we started receiving this message on our computer every time we turned it on:
Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected that drive O on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard-disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation
Strike the F1 key to continue
F2 to run the setup utility

So, we knew that our hard drive was going out. We bought a flash drive this weekend to backup our files. I was going to do that yesterday, but have not been feeling well. So, today one of my kids was having trouble with the computer and decided to restart it, only now it will not restart. It says something like a boot device is not available. Is there any way I can get it restarted long enough to get a few files off my computer? If anyone knows of a keystroke or combination of that might help my computer reboot temporarily or even in safe mode I would appreciate it. Thanks

By some miracle

I turned my computer back on this afternoon so that I could write down exactly what the reboot message was I was getting and amazingly it rebooted with no problems (except for the error message that we have been getting). So, I was able to back up all my files, and I am not sure why, just luck I guess, or perhaps God was just being gracious. Anyhow, everything is backed up now and we will be replacing the hard drive this week. Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back