Computer will not start - HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to this board and looking for a little help. I have a Compaq Presario s4020wm desktop which is about two years old. I have never had any problems with it yet. Now, when I turn the power button on, the yellow light flashes once, the CD drive light flashes, but nothing happens with the computer - it does not boot at all, not even into a welcome screen. It seems to run internally for about a second, and then just sits there. I think the monitor is fine, because the monitor comes on with a "no signal" message when I disconnect it. I have tried to take out the CMOS battery and put it back in according to the only advice I received from the Compaq website. I also tried testing all of the internal connections to make sure nothing was pulled out or something. I am looking for any suggestions, tips, and ideas about what is wrong and what I can do? I don't have recovery discs because Compaq does not ship them with their products. Thanks in advance for your help. It is appreciated.

Also, if I need to buy another one, is it possible to take the hard drive from my old computer and move it to the new one?? What if I get a laptop?

Computer won't start - help please

Anyone out there that can help with some advice??
What about ordering recovery discs from HP?

Thanks

Before doing any step be sure to unplug your power cord from your PC then after remove anything replug it. First try to remove your memory modules then turn the pc, if it's start beeping turn it off and reinstall memmory modules and may be it will start, also if you have more than one memmory modules try with only one installed. if you don't hear any continius beeps do the same with your video card.....also if you have any other devices remove them and try only with cpu, memory and video card installed. Also when you removed the CMOS battery did you unplug power cord ?

I did unplug the power cord when I removed the CMOS battery, but then put the cord back in and started the unit without the battery in it - this is what HP suggested to do to clear the CMOS. When I put the CMOS battery back in, nothing changed - it still won't start.

When you say the memory modules, are you talking about the RAM cards or the hard drives themselves?

Thanks for your help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you say the memory modules, are you talking about the RAM cards or the hard drives themselves?

boril means your ram sticks.

You might want to check your psu as well. If that has failed your computer won`t boot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I removed both RAM cards/sticks that I have and tried restarting the computer - no luck. I also checked the connection for the hard drive and other drives, but still no luck. I hear a little movement in the harddrive, but I am still getting no response in terms of booting up. Is this something that I will not be able to fix myself?

I am not familiar with the PSU - could you explain that?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Psu=power supply unit. The place you plug the power cable into the computer.

Try using a different psu, and see if that helps.

Check with Compaq for psu`s that are compatible, as some oem computers don`t use of the shelf psu`s

If after trying a different psu it`s still a no go. I suspect that maybe your mobo(motherboard is dead).

Regards Howard :)

The power supply seems fine because it is starting, the fan is running, the CD-rom will run and attempt to read discs. It just doesn't boot up. If it is the motherboard, is it worth replacing or is it just better to get a whole new computer? I would like to keep this one because everything is on it, but if it doesn't work or will cost a ton to fix, then it's probably not worth it.

Do you know how to go about getting a new motherboard? The compaq website is useless.

Can you transfer files to a new computer if my computer now isn't turning on?

Compaq s2040wm is my computer. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Just because your psu`s fan spins, and your cd-rom works, is no guarantee that your psu is ok.

IMHO. If it tuns out to be a mobo problem, you`d be better off building a computer yourself. I don`t have much faith in oem computers.

Regards Howard :)

Had the same Problem

Hey Guy! My name is Ryan, I have the same computer. These other suggestions as with you did not work for me. It is the power switch (the power button on the front of the computer). Take the front panel off and remove the small powerswitch from it's casing and (until you get a new power switch for the computer) you can cut the wires from the back of the switch, then strip about half an inch of the wire so that you can touch the (red and black) wires together thus (hotwiring) turning the computer on. There is no need to leave the wires connected together as once the wires have touched the computer will start and stay on. This is the exact way I fixed my exact same computer's problem.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back