Computer will not start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

My HP desktop computer will not turn on, i will press the power on and the light with illuminate orange for a second and then turn off, the PSU fan will run slowly and you can feel a breeze coming out the of the PSU fan, although there is another fan by all the components inside the computer (near the RAM etc.) and that doesn't run although that maybe just because the computer will not overall turn on. The CD tray will work, so i really don't know why it is not starting up, I have tried using a different power cable, also the monitor will not display anything. How do I find out what is wrong, or is there a list of things that could be wrong with the computer.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
British_Command

We need to know the HP model, age of computer, and operating system to be of much help.
You could have a bad cpu fan (the one you describe as inside the computer), and that is relatively easy and inexpensive to repair... Equivalency in US dollars is $10 to $25 depending on brand and quality. Since the power supply is still running, my bet is on the fan. It could also be a memory module failure, or a bad hard drive. So you have three components to check.
You can disconnect the hard drive then boot to a floppy disc such as Windows 98 Startup/Boot floppy if you can locate one. If it still doesn't boot you know it is CPU fan or memory.
If it is a hard drive, you can replace that as well. You just need the install discs that came with the computer. Saving your data will be a problem, and since you have little repair experience, you will need assistance from someone knowledgeable. Start with the cpu fan, as they are inexpensive and need to be replaced periodically anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back