Computer will NOT turn on and it's ticking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright... I need some help... I brought my computer home from college yesterday (where it worked fine), I went to set it up today and it will not turn on. The light on the front blinks and so does the green light on the back, it also seems to be making a ticking sound... It's an HP pavillion a405n. It's almost 2 years old... it has all of the original hardware. Anyone have any ideas? :eek:

~Bren

is it ticking or clicking? clicking noises are generally from a hard drive that has gone bad.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Does you computer attempt to post? Any beeps etc?

Open your case, and see if you can isolate where the ticking sound is coming from.

check that your heatsink is properly attached. Does the psu fan/cpu fan spin?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The computer does not attempt to boot, nothing flickers on the screen, nothing beeps, nothing comes on at all... no fan, no nothing. The ticking goes along with the flashing green light on the back. Could this be my power supply... since nothing at all is working?

PS... oh please don't be a bomb!!!

its a laptop isnt it?
ive had a laptop from my school before and i got ticks on start up..the ticks followed a pattern...same as yours prolly...the ticks were coming form the harddrive area...are yours?

i took it to have a look at and they told me my harddrive had stopped spinning...
they sent it off and i got another harddrive..

ps. if its a bomb...blue wire first
pps...umm maybe its the red wire

Yes, your psu could well be faulty, or maybe it`s a dead mobo. If it was your hard drive your computer would at least attempt to post.

Regards Howard :)

caps?

BrendaBaby said:
No, it is a desktop, and I think I'm going to try the power supply first... wish me luck...

blown capacitors can make ticking sounds, I've heard. As Mr. hopkinso said, could be a mobo problem. :knock:

The ticking sound means it is switching a relay in the power supply. It is probably the overcurrent protection. Check the wiring for shorts.

The light at the back is the network card - it means the 5V standby line is working.

Check that all components are plugged in and seated properly.

Ruder said:
The ticking sound means it is switching a relay in the power supply. It is probably the overcurrent protection. Check the wiring for shorts.

The light at the back is the network card - it means the 5V standby line is working.

Check that all components are plugged in and seated properly.

What he said.

There are no relays in PSUs. (Maybe except really high end models)

Can you hear if it comes from the PSU or mobo?

The transformer or a semiconductor can tick also. You could try to power the PSU alone with a short cable between the green and a black cable in the ATX connector.

You can try a cheapo PSU in the mobo too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back