Computer Will Not Turn On! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayVIP

The computer is a Compaq Presario 5000. It has a Pentium 4 and windows XP installed on it. Im not any sort of computer-wiz but i do know a little about electronics. A couple months ago, my friend tried to install a wireless card into the tower. after that, she said the monitor wouldnt turn on. so i put off working on the computer for a while because i thought it was just a problem with the video card. well turns out there is more to this problem than i thought. for some reason, dont ask me why, she told me she had to take out the power supply. she dropped a screw in it. ohh man. and now, as soon as i plug the power supply into the wall, the computer tries to boot without me even pressing the on button. the hard drive lights blink as well as the power light on the front and also the cd drive blinks forever. the processor fan turns on as well as the power supply fan. the problem is, it doesnt sound like the hard drive is spinning at all and it sounds like the power is pulsing a bit.

sorry, i tried to describe the problem to the best of my knowledge so if you have any other questions just let me know. please help!

a BIOS setting decides whether or not to automatically turn the system on when AC power is applied (it's a post-power failure setting).

I don't know how you drop a screw into a PSU... lol but you need to get it out so it doesn't cause a short circuit.

but anywho.. he's what you should do. You don't have to remove the mobo from the case (although that is the best way)...

1. unplug all power and data cables from the mobo and all other components
2. remove the CMOS battery and if equipped with one, set the CMOS jumper to clear
3. remove all RAM and PCI/video cards
---at this point there should be nothing but the CPU and HSF attached to the mobo---
4. blow out any dust from the RAM, PCI, and video card slots
5. re-install only 1 stick of RAM
6. re-install the video card (unless it's on-board video) and connect to monitor
7. hook up the boot hard drive (no other hard drives, floppy drives, or optical drives)
8. put the CMOS jumper back into it's normal position and re-install CMOS battery
9. plug the ATX power cable into the mobo (and the 4 pin CPU connector)
---at this point everything else should be un-installed or disconnected---
10. plug AC power cord in and attempt to boot up

...let us know what happens

more trouble

well, the screw fell into the power supply.

here's an update:

i went to comp usa and bought some generic power supply rated at 300w. i plugged everything in and then plugged the power into the wall and nothing happened. it doesnt even start up on its own anymore and the button to turn it on wont do anything. its even worse with the new power supply. so i tried the old power supply once again and it automatically turns on when i plug it into the wall again. so does that mean anything if the new power supply wont even turn the computer on?

so i did what you said

so i followed everything you said and the same thing happens. however, i couldnt find a cmos jumper just a push button reset thing that whenever i push, stops the fan and everything else when the power is pulsing through. i appreciate any input anyone can give and thanks for your time.

i also noticed some little lights on the motherboard and they are labeled cr1, cr4, cr2. cr1 is blinking with the pulsing of the fan, and cr4 stays lit up. dunnoe if that means anything..

dude dont worry , just unplug your pc , and dont try to turn it on again , aparently the screw is making a bridge between two circuits , you are lucky that it wasnt something worst , the solution to your problem is ...... to buy a new power suply .....
they are realy cheap!!! ...... make sure is the one that goes with your machine .

you said that you know a little bit about electronics ..... if you like ...... open your pc ...... and take out the power suply .... then go to ebay..... or a pc junk shop and get an used one that goes along with your motherboard ..... and install the damm thing back inside ...... is realy easy ....... all the wires and plugs that the standart power suply has can be fitted in only one socket of the motherboard ....(everyone has their own special socket). if you dont want to do it your self... take it to store or radioshack ....... or some electronic shop....

thats because that power suply was , either not compatible with your pc . or . your original power suply was not 300w

you said that you know a little bit about electronics ..... if you like ...... open your pc ...... and take out the power suply .... then go to ebay..... or a pc junk shop and get an used one that goes along with your motherboard ..... and install the damm thing back inside ...... is realy easy ....... all the wires and plugs that the standart power suply has can be fitted in only one socket of the motherboard ....(everyone has their own special socket). if you dont want to do it your self... take it to store or radioshack ....... or some electronic shop....

if you read the first post, i already took out the screw. if you read the third post, it says i already bought a new power supply and put it in.

the power supply you bought probably didn't have enough power. A generic PSU rated at 300W will not actually provide 300W even at normal room temperature and most of the current that it can provide would be on the 3V and 5V rails and not on the +12V rail that modern systems need the most power from

akaivan said:
Try a 350 watt power supply. :knock:
If it's another generic PSU, 350W is still not enough. If you're going to get a cheap generic (although I don't recommend it), then get one "rated" at 450W or higher

KingCody said:
If it's another generic PSU, 350W is still not enough. If you're going to get a cheap generic (although I don't recommend it), then get one "rated" at 450W or higher

just curius, wats the highest they make? :haha:

so i borrowed my friends psu rated at 350W. its just as heavy as the one i had and its made by compaq. looks pretty new and he runs a p4 with it. the computer now doesnt turn on at all. doesnt make any of the fans moving. i fear my mobo might be finished.

but it originally came with the same power supply. same compaq brand, same computer. its not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back