TechSpot

Computer will not turn on

By tienxviet
Feb 6, 2009
  1. Recently my computer will not restart/shutdown when I try to restart/shutdown it, so I have to resort to hard booting it. I just switched my 2wire modem to put my computer on DMZ mode, and in doing so I had to restart my computer for it to switch to this mode. I tried to restart but it didn't work, so I held the power button. Afterwards, I tried to turn the computer on and it did not respond. -_- A friend of mine told me to go to Best Buy's Geeksquad but I heard it was pricey, so I just went here first to try to knock this problem before moving further on.

Thanks

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
    3072MB Ram
    500GB HD
    NVIDIA Geforce 6150 SE
    Windows Vista Home
    HP Media Center PC

2. rev_olie

rev_olie TS Maniac Posts: 560

OK then. Take a look at Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)

Follow the instructions there especially the CMOS reset.

Post back with the results.

WE are the Geek squad...but better...and free...and dont overcharge you for something you dont need...Techspot rule :D

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

For entertainment, go to B B and watch those squad guys as they depart on a repair adventure. Then watch their revelry when they return. Then look at the prices they charge. We have never seen a squad bill for less than $150, and someone else too often had to finish what they started.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.