Computer will not turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my computer. It just won't turn on! Its an eMachines desktop with a Celeron D at 2.93 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, and a 80 GB hard drive at 7200 rpm. It can't be more that 13 months old, and I think the model number is something like T4010.

Yesterday evening I went to turn it on only to find that it was totally unresponsive. Nothing happens, *at all*, when the power button is pressed. No sounds, no lights, no internal activity.

The computer and all accessories are plugged in. No wires/cables are damaged.

The only thing I can think of - and quite an obvious cause of damage - was the giant lightening storm we had here. But the computer was plugged into a UPS battery back up and surge protector, a very expensive one (Sigh). It was working and fully charged during the period I was away form the desk. Further, the power to the house never went out and the lights never even flickered. I tried another PC (which was also on and running during the storm) with this PC's cables and the UPS, it works.

It is completely protected by Norton antivirus, and supplemental AOL protection. (Not conflicting.)

I opened the case and didn't observe and physical damage. The power button is mechanically functional. (A small green light is visible on the motherboard when plugged in, but everything else looks totally dead.)

Any ideas what this might be? Thanks.

You could trace the power button wires back to the motherboard and make sure its seated on the pins securely. There is a tiny chance that it somehow worked loose (heating/cooling cycles). The switch also could have gone bad. To test that figure out what 2 pins it goes to and short those out with a flathead screwdriver, it doesn't have to be a continous connection (in fact that won't even work) just needs to make a connection between those 2 pins for about the same length you leave your finger on the power button.

If that fixes it then there you go. But it probably won't, in that case your power supply or motherboard could be screwed up. Check the cord plugging into the computer to make sure its getting 110-120V that little green light won't always indicate a good power supply.

adropofreason said:
I have a problem with my computer. It just won't turn on! Its an eMachines desktop with a Celeron D at 2.93 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, and a 80 GB hard drive at 7200 rpm. It can't be more that 13 months old, and I think the model number is something like T4010.

Yesterday evening I went to turn it on only to find that it was totally unresponsive. Nothing happens, *at all*, when the power button is pressed. No sounds, no lights, no internal activity.

The computer and all accessories are plugged in. No wires/cables are damaged.

The only thing I can think of - and quite an obvious cause of damage - was the giant lightening storm we had here. But the computer was plugged into a UPS battery back up and surge protector, a very expensive one (Sigh). It was working and fully charged during the period I was away form the desk. Further, the power to the house never went out and the lights never even flickered. I tried another PC (which was also on and running during the storm) with this PC's cables and the UPS, it works.

It is completely protected by Norton antivirus, and supplemental AOL protection. (Not conflicting.)

I opened the case and didn't observe and physical damage. The power button is mechanically functional. (A small green light is visible on the motherboard when plugged in, but everything else looks totally dead.)

Any ideas what this might be? Thanks.

Also If you have a dial-up modem try removeing it. Those can be fried by static build up in the air which can occur during a storm or through the phoneline. If fried they can cause a short preventing the system from starting.
Emachines powersupplies are notoriously poorly made and do have a tendency to die after a few years so you may want to check that. Sometimes the powersupplies also fry the motherboard.

Power supplies are fairly uncomplicated. The power switch is also uncomplicated - it makes only momentary contact when pressed - but it is a wear item. However, it shouldn't wear quickly - perhaps in 7-10 years. I have never actually seen a fried PSU or modem.

By the way - I am also dealing with an eMachines PC that won't turn on as we speak. On a recent home-built gaming PC, two issues made it impossible for the machine to do anything more than start up for a few seconds:

1. Poor contact between the CPU and the CPU heatsink. The CPU was overheating within about two seconds, and the machine would just shut down. It actually took much more than the recommended amount of Arctic Silver - applied between the CPU and heatsink - and a day and a half for it to permeate the surfaces and create a thermal bridge, before I saw a difference in how long the machine would stay running. It went from 2 seconds to 10 seconds.

2. RAM seating / integrity: If the RAM is bad or not properly seated, the machine will shut down after running only a few seconds. If the RAM is in the wrong slot (doesn't sound like your problem), the same will happen. If you have more than one stick of RAM, you can try removing both, and then trying with just the one or the other stick in the slot designated for a single memory module.

In all cases during testing, as you make any change at all, you will need to reset the BIOS. Typically, this means: Look for the BIOS configuration pins (3 side by side) and move the jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 with the PC unplugged. Remove the motherboard battery. Replace both to their original positions after 20 seconds or so, and plug in the machine.

Good luck.

My status so far: When I insert the plug into the wall, my machine powers up for almost 10 seconds. Each successive try is shorter until I let the machine cool down.

i have same problem! my emacines wont turn on either! only my problem has a slight differnece and i wonder if anyone can help??
I took out my power switch from inside to short across the pins and check if it was working - this didnt make it fire up anyway but whilst i was doing it my dog got the power switch and chewed it up! Help! where can i get a new one from??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back