Computer will only boot in safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo_barbie

my computer had died. dead dead dead. it will only boot in safe mode. some ***** who shall remain nameless was deleting files and i think he has deleted an o/s file by accident. i get error messages that won't go away and nothing NOTHING will load
error msg: explore.exe file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:SHRegGETUSVALUEA

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? AND HOW THE HELL DO I FIX IT?

if anyone can please help, i would be so grateful..

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

In safe mode, click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and press the enter key. Windows will check for any missing or damaged OS files and replace them as necessary. You will need to have your Windows cd handy.

See if that helps and post back with the results.

Regards Howard :)

probably, there's a solution to restore - try rescue disc, search for the listed file in the i-net.. and most certanly, there are people how could fix it. me not..

anyway i propose to rescue what is possible.. means user data and configs..
for this you need a optional shell on your computer or a network connection or.. worst, take your HD out and mount it in another compi..
optional shell could be a dos-bootdisc or a live-cd (e.g. many linux-distros)

my dead computer

I can't type anything in safe mode, literally nothing comes up, just that error message and that wont go away even if you click ok.

my computer

okay, i assume i need to wipe it and re install windows but how do i do that when it won't do anything. I am thinking seriously about kicking it out of the window, given it thinks it's a football anyway....

my computer

thank you, Howard

that was helpful, i have now wiped c drive. hpwever, it does not seem to want to re install windows. I have problems when i get to this point :

Once the reformat is finished put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD-ROM drive, and type "D:\setup" at the prompt.

Once Windows is finished installing, reinstall your backup software and restore your data to the hard drive.
i have turned it off and turned it on again and now it just says invalid ystem disk, replace the disk and press any key. tried putting the boot disk in but that doesnt work either?

my computer

me too im afraid, mk_one. i am now at the stage where when you initially start up it says there is a problem with the disk. i dont understand how to now reinstall windows on the machine.... i am not the most technical person with a computer. i suspect i am doing soething wrong with the boot disk as i can't seem to use it.

All the instructions you need are in the links I gave you.

Perhaps you can get a friend who knows about computers to help you? Failing that, you could always take your computer to you local pc shop and ask them to reinstall Windows 98 for you.

I know what you mean mate.

Make sure your boot priority is set in your bios thus.

1st: Floppy drive(A)/2nd: CD-rom(D)/3rd: Hard drive(C). Then save and exit bios.

Boot your computer with the Floppy disk in your drive and follow the instructions in THIS LINK.

my computer

it seems to be taking a long time..... it says floppy a installed and then there is a little flashing _ as if it wants me to type something, but they keyboard wont type. its plugged in, and further up the screen it says that the mouse and the keyboard have been detected. what is supposed to happen after you re boot with the floppy disk in the A:/ drive>

Thanks

Kate

Are using a usb mouse and keyboard? If you are, maybe it`d be better to try using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. The quotes below are taken from the link I gave you.

Reboot the machine with the floppy disk in the floppy drive and when the machine restarts choose "Start with CD-ROM support"

At the prompt type d: and hit the Enter key. If the machine responds with D:\> you are in business.

Next type "format c:" without the quotes (and hit ENTER).

Once the reformat is finished put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD-ROM drive, and type "D:\setup" at the prompt.

unfortunately I dont have a ps2, but good suggestion!
which is the windows cd rom disk? i have a disk in front of me which says windows 95 'for distribution with a new pc' and a disk microsoft windows 98 upgrade for users of windows 95. assume its the first one?

ahh it says volume laben (11 characters, ENTER for none)? and it wants me to type something, what do i put? D:\setup isnt working! it just says invalid volume id

okay have followed all the instructions as per this site http://www.techadvice.com/tech/H/HardDriveFormat.htm

now it says c:\>

what does it want? have tried typing D:\setup but it says bad filename

I`d say your Windows 95 cd is the one you should install, then once that`s done, use the 98 upgrade cd.

You`ll probably need a Windows 95 boot disk from HERE.

Try and follow this guide HERE.

If you still have problems after following the above, I stongly suggest you get someone to look at your system. This is because, it`s possible there`s a hardware problem of some kind and that`s why you`re having so many problems installing Windows.

thanks howard

I got the windows 95 boot disk from that site yesterday, i was messing around with the machine all evening.

I followed all the instructions to the letter:
4) Formatting the hard drive

Make sure you have a boot floppy disk in the computer. Allow the computer to reboot, or just shut off the computer and turn it back on with the disk inserted in the floppy drive. After the computer reboots, you should get the A:\> prompt.

If you need any files such as Fdisk for windows 95 go to the "Windows 95 files" page. There you will also find a link to a site that has a file you can download which will create a boot disk.

You should already have the format.com file on the disk. At the A:\> prompt, type on the keyboard

format c: /s <enter> ( for bootable drives like drive C:)

format d: <enter> ( for non-bootable drives like drive D:)

{ the word format is followed by a space then the forward slash the letter S and the enter key. }

you will receive the message...

==========================================
WARNING: ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N) ?
==========================================

select the Yes option by pressing the Y key on the keyboard and press <enter>

the message.....

=====================
Formatting xxxxM
.....xx percent completed.
=====================

...will be shown, and the formatting will take place. You should now see the 'percent complete' value increase as the drive is formatted.

when the format is finished, you will see the message...

==============
Formatting xxxM
Format complete.
System transferred

Volume label (11 characters, Enter for none )?
==============

The cursor will be flashing on the bottom of the screen, waiting for you to name the newly formatted drive. Type in a name (11 characters or less, don't use spaces) and press <enter>. You can use a simple name if you like such as "driveC" or "drive1", it really does not matter what its called.

After you press the <enter> key you will receive the final screen showing the drive statistics as shown below for an imaginary 100 megabyte hard drive.

==================================
106614784 bytes total disk space
.....186368 bytes used by system
106428416 bytes available on disk

....2048 bytes in each allocation unit.
..51967 allocation units available on disk.

Volume Serial Number is 1234-5C68
===================================

Finally you will see the A:\> prompt. At this point the drive is ready to be used as the primary boot drive. Remove the diskette from the floppy drive and reboot the computer by either pressing the reboot key or by turning the computer OFF and back On.

'Finally you will need to install your programs using the provided floppy disks or CD-ROM disks'... this is the point where i have problems... i dont understand what this means.

I got to the point where it says c:\> at which point i should be able to tell it to copy the files from D drive to C drive by typing something along the lines of COPYD:\*.*C ..... i cant find the link i used to tell you exactly what it said. i assume this is whats supposed to happen. but it tells me there are no files to be copied, which is why i am thinking there is a problem with the boot disk? maybe no cd rom support? or maybe the disk i have is the wrong one?

After yoiu`ve removed the floppy disk and rebooted the computer. make sure you have the Windows cd in your CD rom drive. At the c:\> command prompt type D: and press the enter key, then type setup and follow the prompts as per the link in my above post.

Hi, typing D: made the prompt change from c drive to d drive, but typing setup at the D:\> prompt returned 'bad command or filename'
what happened?

Ok, try this. With the Windows95 cd in your cd-rom drive and the boot floppy in your floppy drive reboot windows. Choose start with cd-rom support. At the command prompt type D: and press the enter key, then type setup and press the enter key.

howard, i owe you beer :) dont know how to say thank you given your at the other end of the computer... OH MY GOD IT WORKED!!!!!

you have made me very happy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back