Computer won't boot in normal or safe mode

By mmarrs
Jan 4, 2010
  1. So, last night I was on my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) and got a little malware pop up in the bottom right of the screen. I knew from recent previous experience that this was a baaad thing.

I started exiting out of programs, preparing to do a system restore, or try something to prevent a complete virus takeover.
    Things started to freeze, and in a panic I manually shut off the computer. Then, when I tried to start it up, I get the Dell screen, but after that there was just a black screen with a white lined bar at the bottom, which seemed to start loading something, but then stopped.

I tried booting in safe mode, and when I do that, the about 7 lines of the programming or whatever appear, as usual, but then it suddenly freezes and won't continue.

Can anyone help me? Am I beyond help? What did I do to my computer!?

Also, I run Windows XP. I don't know if this matters, but I'm pretty sure Windows was doing an update when I turned it off, not sure if that would make things worse perhaps.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

boot directly off your os cd. if you have severe malware, you may need to reformat and reinstall.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

4. mmarrs

mmarrs TS Rookie Topic Starter

I found the operating system disk, but when I hit F12 and say boot from disk, the same problem occurs:
    the white dotted loading bar at the bottom of the screen loads a little, but then stops. What should I do?
  5. mmarrs

mmarrs TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, I have been able to get into the windows operating system disk.
    I went into Windows Recovery Console and ran chkdsk. It found something corrupted or wrong, so I ran chkdsk /r which I think fixes that?
    When I restarted, I still don't get past the dell screen.

I tried booting from a Ultimate Boot disk, and that didn't seem to work either. When I said to boot to a drive, the screen just went black.

Any recommendations?
  6. tdurbin

tdurbin TS Rookie

mmarrs, You might want to try running Malwarebytes' from a Linux liveCD. I would post a link for you if I could... The article can be found at under the title:
    Good luck.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.