Computer won't boot up on any setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deganveran

Yesterday my computer was working fine. Before that I heard a grinding noise once in a long while but it went away. I left my computer on all night and when I woke up it was off. When I turned it on it said there was an error and gave me a black screen with a few options: Restart normally, restart in last known good configuration that worked, safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe more with command prompt. The problem is, no matter what I choose I goes to the windows XP start up screen and, after a second or two, stops and cuts off, restarting and giving me the options all over again. How do I fix this? What is wrong?

You have given us so little information on the computer that we cannot give useful replies.

Howsabout brand, model, age, hard drive brand and age, memory installed, power supply brand and age.

Our basic observation is that your hard drive failed, or that the CPU fan, or power supply has gone to the happy hunting ground.

Please tell us more.

Its a homebrew, so no brand and model. Its running windows XP service pack 3, its around 3 years old with an intel dual core processor 3.16 ghz I believe, I didn't overclock). Its got two internal fans with three vent ports with 2 gig's ram. Not sure as too the power supply or hard drives name, but their as old as the computer. The hard drive is 500 gigs.

EDIT: It seems like there was a power surge earlier.

Home Built motherboard that is three years old, 500 GB hard drive of unknown brand that is three years old, Unknown power supply, unknown memory but probably 2 GB, Intel dual core 3.16 Ghz CPU, Unknown CPU fan, OS: WXPH with Service Pack 3.

Now tell us what it is doing or not doing?
Do the lights come on for the power supply or motherboard?
Do the power supply fan blades turn? Even 1/3 to 3 turns is important information.
Is there a lot of dirt and dust on the fan blades of power supply or CPU fan?
Have any changes been made to the system recently that would affect any operational component other than the memory?
Do any lights come on for the ethernet socket?
There are model and part numbers on the motherboard... some will be in the center near the processor, and the others will be around the edge of the motherboard. What are they.
When you attempt to boot, what happens, if anything.
What is the power supply power as indicated on the label of the power supply. This label is required for most countries, so it must be there.
The grinding noise could be any of these, and any could cause the stop: Hard drive failure. Power supply failure; DVD or CD drive; CPU fan.
Does it have a floppy drive?
Do you know how to disconnect things. It may be useful to disconnect the hard drive, and boot to a CD disk such as a Windows disk... or to a floppy disk if the CD drive doesn't work.

What we do know if that it can be repaired. We just need more information.

Power Supply: Orion
Model No: HP585D

There are no lights on the power supply or motherboard. There is a fan working in the power supply though, and the CPU fan is working. Power supply fans seem to be working fine (I hear them somewhat whirring).

Doesn't seem to be a lot of dirt or dust on either of the blades.

No recent sys changes have been made that would effect anything. Lights go on in the ethernet socket.

Model: I am not seeing anything. I do see ABIT in a few places, and I see IP-95 VER: 1.0

When I attempt to boot it brings me to a black screen that asks how I want to boot (Safe mode, previous configuration that worked, safe mode with netowrking, ect).

The power supply says a lot of numbers so I will list them here:
AC Input: 100-120 Vac
200-240 Vac
47-63 Hz
10/5A

DC Output:-+3.3V-+5V-+12V1-12V2--- -12v--+5Vsb
Max.A: 36a---------36a----19a---20a----1A------2A

No Floppy drive

Heres my BIOS stats:

CPU VCORE: 1.248 v
VDIMM: 1.792 V
+3.3V: 3.264 V
+5V: 5.026 V
5VSB: 5.061 V
VBAT: 3.216 V
CPU Fan speed: 2235 RPM
SYSTEM FAN speed: 0 RPM
PWR FAN: 0 RPM
CPU Temperature: 64C/149 F
System Temp: 48 C/118 F
SMART fan control: Disabled
Shutdown temp: Disabled

Any chance you can borrow a power supply from another computer in order to test. It appears a failed power supply could be the problem, as it would cause the other problems you reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back