computer wont boot, weird beep codes

By XmaZe
Jan 19, 2007
  1. Hey all i need some help... Ill take it from the top :)

I have an Asus a8n-e mobo on which the chip fan died rescently, i ran the computer for awhile without the fan and it looked like it worked fine,temps seemd fine in Asus Probe and in bios. I tried to switch the fan for a working one from an older mobo but it didnt fit and now the computer wont boot any more. It POSTs and then freezes just when the chip fan warning comes on, or if i enter bios it freezes a few secs after i get in. When i reboot i get the same thing OR i get some weird beep codes, 2 short 2 long 2 short and after awhile another, 2 short 3 long, and i cant find an answer for theese codes. I have tried to run it from out of the case with only psu, mobo, cpu, ram and switching slots on the ram sticks but no change.
    So is the mobo the issue? Is there a way to test just the mobo? I cant see any problems on the mobo, chip doesnt look burnt (dunno really how it would look tho) but there is some thermal paste on it... any suggestions on this?

Asus A8N-E (Phoenix Award Bios)
    AMD Atlhon64 Venice 3200+
    Corsair 2x1024mb Dual DDR 3200 400mhz CL2
    XFX Geforce 7900GT
    Antec sonata 2 450w

thx in advance!
  2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 545

By 'chip fan' do you mean the one on the North Bridge or the one on the CPU?
    If the fan on your heatsink on your CPU died, your CPU would probably be overheating and switching itself of. Either that or it died.
    If you mean the one on the NB, it could also be overheating. If you don't have a fan that fits, you could either buy a new one that does or make a fanduct out of pieces of plastic or cardboard.
  3. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

5. deathrail

deathrail TS Rookie

POST Error

AS you boot up before you get the chip warning... do you get an error number?
  6. XmaZe

XmaZe TS Rookie Topic Starter

thx for the quick replies guys!

Jesse_hz: Its the NB fan im talking about, CPU fan works fine. I will try to mount a zalman NB47J on it, that i just got, to see if it makes a difference

zipperman: the manual doesnt have any beep code desciption, which i find kinda odd :\

tedster: done it, my bios is Phoenix AwardBios, should i read the Award section or the Phoenix section?? the closest i could find was this
    "two (followed by various combinations) First 64K RAM Chip/Data Line failure (combinations indicate which bit)"
    so if this is it then it would be a broken ram stick that causes this, right?
  7. XmaZe

XmaZe TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok updated situation, mounted the NB Heatsink and it seemd to work better, disabled chip fan warning in BIOS. Now the problem was that i got a blue screen when loading windows and computer would reboot instantly so i cant read the error msg. Thought windows just might be corrupt so i tried to format c: and reinstall. The format worked fine but it froze during install. Rebooted and tried one more time and same thing happend. Tried running memtest86 and it worked fine for a little while (between 5 -10 min) then froze. Seems to me like it freezes when it has to work for a while. Any suggestions what might be the problem?

edit: Hell, now im back at the no post and beep codes again...
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

award bios is what pertains to you
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.