computer wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mock_zero

I got up in the morning and was playing warcraft on battle.net when all of a sudden my computer rebooted so i didnt think much of it and i went back to warcraft and played some more. Later on about 2 hours later it did the same thing only this time when i tried to reoboot it wouldnt. All it does is goes to windows and looses a montier signal and does nothing or reboots again. Someitmes it wont even post and i have to turn off the power and try again. Someitmes it does post and someimes it would freezes in the middle of scanning my RAM. A friend said it might be the power supply so i unhooked all my mods and fans that i could and it still does the same thing. I also went into the bios and turned the shut down temps up a little higher to 80 C and it makes no diff. it just does those same things over and over again. Every once it a while it does a series of beeping while trying to post but theres no way to make it out into ne type of pattern cuz its always diffrent. The more i try to reboot it the worse it seems to get so i dont want to eternaly screw any thing up so i stopped trying to make it boot and hoepd to get an anserw on something to do through here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Holy $#!% he thought of posting here! Whoa.

His temps are fine, I dont think there was need to make the shut down temp higher..

Hes had this PC for about a year, never had this problem. The power supply is generic. I looked on it, it said 12A on the 12v rail, which you know is death road right there :D It pushes like 300w (it says anyways).

I recon its the powersupply.....

Have you checked the 5 and 12V sides with everything but maybe a hard drive attached for load? I'd keep it on for a bit to see if you get much fluctuation.

Yes but it still doesnt post and it turns on the moniter but all thje moniter does is go to a diagnostic screen for the moniter like its not getting a signal

Open the PC, take out all your cards and the memory stick(s), rub all the gold contacts with an eraser, clean off the eraser-remnants and reseat everything firmly. in its original slot. Also check all your connectors between mobo and any drives and PSU and drives.
It might be a loose connector/card or, as Agissi said, your PSU might not pull enough power anymore.

What in the world would that eraser tatic do? btw all his connectors were good. Its his PSU...probably

Hi agissi
When a PCI or AGP card has been inside the PC for a while, slowly but surely the contacts on those cards start to corrode (for iron you would say rust). This can cause bad contact between the card-contacts and the cardslot-contacts. With the eraser you remove the corrosion from the card-contacts. You can SEE it because they become a lot shinier. Take any old card that you may have somewhere lying around (or has been in a PC for a long time). Use the erasor on just half of the contacts and look at the difference between erased and not-erased.

I don't want to sound snotty, but I was probably on my 9th or 10th computer already by the time you were born, and believe me, this trick has solved many problems over the years.

thank you for ur help i have been pressed for time latly so its hard to do much around here but i do want to get it fixed so ill try and do that tonight asap and c what happens i hope it solves my problems also... thx

hmmm.. Im sorry to say it dint help so any other ideas ??? on what it could be ?? people are saying it might be the power supply but im not qite ready to get a new one till im for sure but the 1 i have is pretty generic as u can tell by agissi's post

I had this same scenario happen to me about a year and a half ago. The box started to not post, then sometimes it would post, but hang when testing the memory, ect.. Finally got to where it did not post at all. Just strange beepings happening deep within it's bowels.

I build my own boxes, probably like a lot of us here do, so I spent my time going thru things, bit by bit.. ( no pun intended.. )

Finally turned out that my CPU had just given up on me. I couldn't believe it, because it wasn't all that old, but turned out that replacing it solved the problem.

Perhaps you could remove it, then re-seat it, to see if you get any sort of different results. If you do, then you know you're on the right track. PSU's, even the generic ones, tend to be pretty stable nowdays. Just a thought. Hope it leads you towards the right solution!

im definatly going to try that and hope for the best becuz a laptop just isnt the same so i hope it works thx for the advice ill post my results on here when im done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back