TechSpot

Computer Wont Boot

By Yggdrassil
Sep 20, 2008
  1. Well i thought i downloaded the right Bios for my computer at the dell site and it turns out it must not be the right one.

The Bios installed on my computer replacing my old one and now my computer wont boot to my desktop or anything. Its stuck with this black screen and message.

Dell DM051 Series
    Bios version A02
    www.dell.com

System Halted!
    Alert! Incompatible processor detected.

And i can't get passed this or into any safe mode. Is there any way to correct this?

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

When you flashed the BIOS it seems the new one isnt liking your CPU for some reason, it shouldnt have been possible to flash the BIOS with the wrong version so it may be a fault with the new BIOS you used, or someone has changed the CPU in the unit to a lower/higher spec.

I found this once on a latitude when i stuck a 1ghz cpu in a motherboard designed for 750mhz CPU and got the same message incidentally.

The bad news is there is no way to recover what you have done as you arent able to undo the fault,

however if the unit is in warrantly then Dell should fix it, if its not then you will need to buy a new motherboard for it, or find the correct CPU that it likes.

Dell have an excellent forum where someone more knowledgeable may be able to assist further

Regards

3. Yggdrassil

Yggdrassil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 39

4. Ididmyc600

Hi
    Nope it wont work, what your reading there is how to reset the BIOS in case you set something wrong such as CPU speed or memory timings wrong etc.

Your BIOS is loaded with a version that is incompatible with the type of CPU installed and as there is no way to boot the laptop before getting the error my advice above is your only option,
    Regards

5. Yggdrassil

Thanks for your help but the good news is i dont have to buy another motherboard all i need to do is replace my Bios chip. Sadly i have to call dell and ask them about sending one and the cost. I took my comp to my friends army base and had it stripped down and they told me what to do.

I dont know how much they cost but i'm going to find out. Thanks again.

6. Ididmyc600

Have you actually seen the size of the chip on a laptop? good luck replacing it...

Regards

7. Yggdrassil

Laptop i haven't no but mine is a desktop and i've already had it taken out by my friends base.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.