TechSpot

Computer wont boot

By tendai
Aug 1, 2005
  1. hello, My computer wont boot. It keeps switching off to no signal and restarts.
    error messages displayed
    *pri. master disk hdd s.m.a.r.t capability...... disabled

I tried the last resort and inserted a reload cd..error messages
    *failed whilst redefining max address
    *failed to initiate recovery
    *error whilst redefining max address

it fails to reload when prompted..error messages
    *failed to initiate partition

please, please help...i got so much on the computer..I can't lose it. I don't blame, just need help. thanks!

Tendai

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Im afraid your hard drive is having severe problems. S.M.A.R.T is a system for reporting hard drive errors. There is probably only 2 options open to you, reformat your hard drive or replace it.

3. tendai

tendai TS Rookie Topic Starter

how do you reformat your hard drive?

4. Rik

I need to know what operating system u r using before i can help further. Also, be warned, u will loose ALL data if u reformat.

5. tendai

I'm using windows xp. Better to erase everything because the current option is to have nothing at all!

cheers

6. Rik

Ok, so all u have to do is run the xp install cd and get it to delete your old partition then create a new one. Just follow the onscreen instructions and u should be fine.
    If u need anymore help dont hesitate to ask.

7. tendai

my restore cd doesn't seem to work as stated before..it says falied to initiate partition. I've tried to download an xp install file from microsoft website, but it doesn't boot from cd, tried to run program to make the six floppies and I get an error message

C:\DOCUME~1\Tendai\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\makeboot.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

8. Rik

Looks like either your ata cable or your hard drive has had it then.
    If you have a spare ata or an old ide cable then u could try that but if that makes no difference then you will need to buy a new hdd to get your system going.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.