Computer won't follow through to boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Please help me out with a problem. Any advice would be appreciated. My computer's boot time has been getting longer and longer over the last couple of months. This is what happens. Power is turned on. But, I do not get anything on the screen. (yes, the monitor is plugged in). The problem seems to be centered around the fact that it is having trouble "reading" or recognizing my two disk drives (A CD-Rom Rewritable and and DVD-Rom). The lights on on drives blink for a while, and then stop, and then they blink again. Meanwhile, nothing comes up on the monitor, in fact, the monitor won't recieve a signal but will still be powered on. AFter a while, I will hear a beep and then the monitor will recieve a signal and then the normal boot process begins, without the disk drives lights blinking.

I know this sounds strange. I have tried reconnecting the drives, unplugging the drives, and I even bought a new DVD-Rom (since my old one was having problems anyway). But, this has been going on long before I bought the new one.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a friend who has told me this same thing. His boot time is noticeably slower. I wonder if the drive needs to be defragged. I know it's not the power supply. It has to be something related to the boot hard drive's fullness or pagefile size

I never get to windows. I never get to anything. The monitor stays in standby mode and will not power up. The fan runs, the lights on both rom drives blink for a while, stop, and then blink again. This goes on forever. There isn't even a beep from the computer.

I am going to try taking apart components and seeing what happens. My mobo/cpu/processor,graphics board are all about 4 and a half years old. Hard drive is 2 years old.

Thanks for your help.

Remove the ram from the mobo, the pc should bleep, if it doesn't then there is something fairly serious wrong with it!!!!

Check the motherboard for expanded, or exploded capacitors... This is not a long boot time, this is an "all but dead" computer. The power supply would be my first choice to replace

Here's what it was...

It turned out to be that the processor had burned out. The insulation surrounding it and the heat-sink had dried out. Burned out processor, and fairly old motherboard. I just ended up buying a new computer. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back