Computer won't load past initial boot! please help!

By Hoon
May 28, 2007
  1. For some reason, my computer blue screened on me while starting up a game, and i had to restart. It's happened before, except now, it won't go past the initial Dell loading screen. I've tried using the windows disk to boot and that didn't work. I don't know what to do. i have a dell xps 600. It'll start on the initial dell screen, and won't go past that. Pressing f2 or f12 just freezes the thing.
  2. ladybard

ladybard TS Rookie

Wow, that's really interesting. I had the same problem beginning yesterday just before noon. I was in the middle of downloading and saving an MP3 file from a children's story site for my daughter and the system froze. After trying to go to Task Manager, I got the blue screen and had to hit Ctrl Alt Del to try and reboot. After I did that, it would only boot to the Dell screen and after that it would go to a black screen with a cursor at the top. It would blink a couple of times and then shut down. The next time I turned on the computer, it would give me the menu to choose Safe Mode and then go to Disk Scan (because it didn't shut down properly).

I finally got back up this morning. I found a recommendation on Microsoft to do some diagnostic checks:

I went through everything and got down to Troubleshooting Protected-Mode Driver Problems and followed the instructions there. It ended up being the Disk Scan that was running after a bad shutdown. Once I turned that off, the system boots up all the way. The only thing is that I don't understand why that's the problem (that's what I'm trying to figure out now).

Anyway, because you had the same issue on the same day, I'm wondering if it isn't a virus, even though I did do a virus scan.

Try that page and see if it can help you troubleshoot. I had to do a lot of rebooting in the safe mode after bad shutdowns but after a while I got into a rhythm and was able to go do other things while I did it.

Good luck!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.