Computer won't load past initial boot! please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, my computer blue screened on me while starting up a game, and i had to restart. It's happened before, except now, it won't go past the initial Dell loading screen. I've tried using the windows disk to boot and that didn't work. I don't know what to do. i have a dell xps 600. It'll start on the initial dell screen, and won't go past that. Pressing f2 or f12 just freezes the thing.

Wow, that's really interesting. I had the same problem beginning yesterday just before noon. I was in the middle of downloading and saving an MP3 file from a children's story site for my daughter and the system froze. After trying to go to Task Manager, I got the blue screen and had to hit Ctrl Alt Del to try and reboot. After I did that, it would only boot to the Dell screen and after that it would go to a black screen with a cursor at the top. It would blink a couple of times and then shut down. The next time I turned on the computer, it would give me the menu to choose Safe Mode and then go to Disk Scan (because it didn't shut down properly).

I finally got back up this morning. I found a recommendation on Microsoft to do some diagnostic checks:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188867

I went through everything and got down to Troubleshooting Protected-Mode Driver Problems and followed the instructions there. It ended up being the Disk Scan that was running after a bad shutdown. Once I turned that off, the system boots up all the way. The only thing is that I don't understand why that's the problem (that's what I'm trying to figure out now).

Anyway, because you had the same issue on the same day, I'm wondering if it isn't a virus, even though I did do a virus scan.

Try that page and see if it can help you troubleshoot. I had to do a lot of rebooting in the safe mode after bad shutdowns but after a while I got into a rhythm and was able to go do other things while I did it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back