TechSpot

Computer won't open programs and is crashing!

By Stewie2kill
Dec 6, 2006
  1. Hello. I have a very large problem that I need fixed in a very short ammount of time and I was hoping that someone around here could lend me a helping hand.

Diagnosis: I have an older Dell Desktop running Windows Service pack 2 and right lately it starts up with a message stating that "primary hard drive 0 is operating outside normal parameters". After that everything seems fine until you try to start any programs and then it gives me a message similar to the following:
    "The application or DLL C:\system32\insertprogramhere.dll/exe/etc. is not a valid windows image."

on top of recieving that image it won't open anything program related except internet explorer and i'm contstantly getting alerts containing messages exactly like those I get when I try to open a file up.

The trouble is here that I have run 3 virus scanners on the computer and it says that there are no virus's or spyware (I use the Latest McAffee version) and also I am not experiencing any redirecting of URL's or pop-ups when it comes to web surfing or computer surfing. I need this thing fixed as soon as possible and am currently operating off of a temporary Laptop. Downloading is a limited thing for me when it comes to the computer in question so if you have any ideas that may be restricted more towards configuration or due process I would be grateful. But if it's absolutely necessary I will do my best, I'm just trying to get my bearings on the situation and what the overall trouble is.

I hope you guys can help, i'll check back in periodically.

P.L.U.R.

~Stewie2kill
    "rave on_"

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s check to see if you have any nasties.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

If it turns out not to be virus/spyware related, I`ll move your thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Stewie2kill only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

3. Stewie2kill

Stewie2kill TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey. thanks for your help so far, I really hope you can help me get this fixed. The file attatchment is .txt like you asked for.
    Again, thank you for your help. P.L.U.R.

~Stewie2kill
    "rave on_"

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

There`s nothing in your HJT log that would account for your problems.

I have moved your thread to our Windows OS forum.

I suggest you test you hard drive with the utility from your hard drive manufacturers. If you can`t find it, then take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.