TechSpot

Computer won't recognize USB devices

By garyk9gs
Feb 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Computer is a Dell OptiPlex 3100
    OS is Win7 Professional

For some reason, ANY USB device I try to install is not recognized. Only existing USB devices.

I first noticed it when I tried installing a USB stick. In device manager I get an error 28 under properties. At the time I pretty much shrugged my shoulders. I should point out that the same USB stick work fine in other computers including an identical computer to the one I'm having trouble with.

Tonight I tried installing a different keyboard. I have the same problem..Windows doesn't install the driver.

Other USB devices (mouse, old keyboard, USB stick of a different brand, etc) work just fine.

It's almost like something is preventing Win from recognizing ANY drivers. Something disabling plug-and-play?

I've Googled until my head spins. I sure hate to call Dell (PC is still under warranty)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.