Computer wont shut down completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I got an eMachine T2692 off ebay for my niece. It had a bad power supply so I got it cheap. I replaced the PS and it works perfectly except when its shut down the power supply fans and front case lights stay on. Does this sound like a damaged mobo? Ive done a clean install of Windows and it still does tha same thing.

Older computers merely shut down windows and you had to push the power button to complete the shut down. maybe this is what's happening?

i_am_a_newbie said:
Older computers merely shut down windows and you had to push the power button to complete the shut down. maybe this is what's happening?
You talk the AT (museum old) vs. ATX power supply. This particular unit with 2.6GHz chip is up to date, they were made by the end of 2003.

In any case pulling the cord works wonders every time :D

Just unplug the cable :) It should turn off, unless it has a super mega battery built in :) :unch: :haha: :giddy: (what a nice little face :giddy: )

Instead of unpluging the cable, you can turn the PC off using the PSU`s switch. It is a safe method.

E-Machinist talked about AT era pcs needing to be shut down by pushing in the power button. Actually, i have a pc right now that has a slot 1 P3 933 cpu in it, and i do believe the mobo might take a faster P3 cpu and this unit is still shut off using the "push in the power button" method. Its also running win xp pro.
So its not just old ATmachines, although i agree this is still old stuff and with
vegasgmc's pc sporting a 2.6 mhz cpu then its not likely that this is the issue.
I think, as some have stated, there could be a problem with the mobo, but i also think it could be that there is possibly a setting in the bios that might control this. I am wondering if its not even a combo of certain hardware in this system and windows itself doing this? This is just a guess and i dont know what hardware could cause or promote this.
It couldnt hurt to even try to install your os over top of itself, just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back