TechSpot

Computer won't start, can't be PSU

By renome
Aug 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So,today I was playing Alpha Protocol and all of a sudden my PC just shut down. I tried turning it back on,but with no success. When I opened the casing, I could smell something burned, but everything looks fine. 3 weeks ago, I bought a new PSU (500w) and a technician installed it,claiming it's more than powerful enough for my computer. I own Nvidia 250GTS, 2GB RAM and a 3,6 Ghz single-core processor. Strangely, motherboard still shows me the green light for my power supply and when I try to power on my computer a green lamp in front turns on and a red lamp under it briefly flashes. The green lamp in front turns off only after I hold the power key for a few seconds. Oh and, there are no sounds coming from the motherboard or the speakers when I try to power up the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: If it helps, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=K69Gdz0LrkU

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

It IS most likely the power supply. Just because you have a couple of green leds, doesn't mean that the power supply is good. It could me the motherboard, but try a new power supply first

3. renome

renome TS Rookie Topic Starter

What's bothering me is the fact that the power supply is brand new (3 weeks) and that computer wasn't used a lot since it was installed, so how can a perfectly good and new piece of hardware just die?

4. Tmagic650

Power supplies are way cheaper and easier to replace than a motherboard. Any piece of electrical equipment can fail at any time

5. renome

renome TS Rookie Topic Starter

Huh, looks like I'll just have to try exchanging it with a warranty, thanks for the help. Just out of curiosity, motherboard and PSU are the only 2 possible theories?

6. Tmagic650

As I said, the power supply is the easiest part to change. Sure it could be some other component, but in my experience, the power supply is bad