Computer won't start, Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Having just picked up my PC which I havent used for more than 9 months from storage (I was overseas during that period) it now just simply does not want to start, I get the Following error message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I tried resetting the BIOS, connected a working hard drive from another computer to make sure it isn't the HD and so on, but still nothing...

In IDE Configuration it does not detect anything:

Primary IDE Master [Not Detected]
Primary IDE Slave [Not Detected]
Secondary IDE Master [Not Detected]
Secondary IDE Slave [Not Detected]
SATA1 [Not Detected]
SATA2 [Not Detected]

Infos about my system:

BIOS Version: 939A8X-M BIOS P1.50
Processor Type : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Processor Speed: 1800Mhz
Microcode Update : 20FF2/0
L1 Cache Size: 128KB
L2 Cache Size: 512KB

Total Memory: 1024MB Dual Channel Memory Mode
DDR1: 512MB/116Mhz (DDR333)
DDR1: 512MB/116Mhz (DDR333)

Please help, I would really to get this Computer running again!

i have a feeling your motherboard was damaged. which would explain why nothing is being detected.

i think your best bet to test if it was damaged is to replace the motherboard with a new one.

but judging by the fact that you have 333mhz ram, i'd say that you're motherboard isn't exactly.......new...in terms of being up to date technology-wise.

if you don't want to spend a lot of money, then find out what kind of motherboard came with your computer. you can figure this out by going to the manufacturer and looking up the specifications. or you can google it and find it that way. whichever way works for you. then look for the same motherboard online on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com or something, and just slap that one in, and hook it all up.

but, since it's fried anyway, and might need the upgrade, you could instead look into building a new one for cheap. doesn't have to be top of the line. just up to date enough that you can upgrade whenever you're comfortable doing so. you could probably build a fairly cheap design for 4 or 5 hundred dollars. possibly cheaper if you know where to look.

go with whichever option suits you best. i'm not here to tell you what to do. i'm here to diagnose your problem and offer what i think are the best options....personally, i'd go with the second one and step into the dual core world, with 800mhz RAM.

I would guess motherboard. (Hate to just be guessing). Maybe it's time to upgrade. You did use a different connector from the drive to the board?

Your CMOS battery probably needs replacement. Also reseat all cards. Use a pencil eraser and VERY lightly buff the contacts on cards to remove surface oxidation. ENSURE you are grounded at all times and the computer is UNPLUGGED.

Thanks for the replies everyone, although I hate to believe that the whole motherboard is fried....

I have a quick question though, If the motherboard is gone bust, how come it still recognizes the Keyboard that is plugged through USB? I mean, that's how I could get to the Main setup menu and BIOS Setup

Oh, After switching cables Now it does recognize my HD, so it shows as follows:

Primary IDE Master [Not Detected]
Primary IDE Slave [Maxtor 6L200P0]
Secondary IDE Master [Not Detected]
Secondary IDE Slave [Not Detected]
SATA1 [Not Detected]
SATA2 [Not Detected]

Anyone knows what the next course of action would be?

No it doesn't give the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" Error anymore, but it stays on black screen and not go any further....

insert your OS disk. go into bios and change the boot device priority to boot from your cd/dvd drive. boot from the disk, choose to install the OS and look whether it gives you a repair option, usually by pressing r. be careful not to install a fresh version over your current OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back