Computer won't Start up After an Electrical Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an emachine T1115 an recently I had a power outage but after the power came back on I couldn't start up my computer. I have a 150 watt PSU installed in the sysytem and I wondering if this could have possibly gone bad because of the power outage. I have a 250 watt and 300 watt PSUs here and I want to know if I can use these to try to start up the system to test if the PSU really is the problem or if the reason for the computer not being able to start is something else. If u think it is what could it be?

Most likely you are correct. Your PSU was probably damaged by the power outage. You can use your extra PSU's as long as they have the correct motherboard connector for your PC. Basically what you need to do is drop buy your local electronics store and pick up a backup battery (UPS). Then connect your extra power supply (either one that has all the necessary connectors) to the motherboard hard drive and video card if necessary(not likely in an emachine). Try to make sure your active powersupply also physically touchs the computer case so it maintains the case as a grounding point for your components. Then plug the PSU into your new battery backup and fire up your PC.

I had an old machine that was damaged during a storm even with a surge supressor. I bought an UPS afterwards. I definately recommend going the UPS route.

a power outtage itself will not damage a PSU. A power surge on the other hand will damage a PSU. The cause of the power outtage will determine if a power surge preceeds it. If a surge caused your PSU to stop working, chances are it's just a blown fuse.

Be careful about just plugging in another PSU. I don't know about eMachines, but many older computer brands used proprietary components (non-standard). for example, older Dell PSU used the same connector as a standard ATX PSU, but if you plugged an ATX PSU into it, you'd fry the motherboard or the PSU.

So make sure that the PSU is compatible with your machine reguarless of the connector it uses before you install it.

KingCody said:
a power outtage itself will not damage a PSU. A power surge on the other hand will damage a PSU. The cause of the power outtage will determine if a power surge preceeds it. If a surge caused your PSU to stop working, chances are it's just a blown fuse.

Be careful about just plugging in another PSU. I don't know about eMachines, but many older computer brands used proprietary components (non-standard). for example, older Dell PSU used the same connector as a standard ATX PSU, but if you plugged an ATX PSU into it, you'd fry the motherboard or the PSU.

So make sure that the PSU is compatible with your machine reguarless of the connector it uses before you install it.

Emachines uses standard ATX unlike Dell and older Compaqs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back