Computer wont start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs:
AMD Athlon 2800+ CPU
1 Gig Ram (2 sticks of 512)
Geforce 3 Chipset Motherboard

I am a BIG fan of Everquest 2. Last night I was playing the games and the game began to slow down and get jumpy. So I decided to quit the game and restart my computer.

When I did restart from windows, it quit to a black screen with a cursor blinking up in the upper left hand corner. So I scratched my head a few times and held the power button in and powered it down and turned it back on. It came up to that black bios screen where it show your system spec stuff and froze at the first line that read AMD ATHLON 2800+, usually it then auto detects my hardware and goes to boot into windows.

SO, I pulled out a few of my head hairs, because this is also my business computer and has ALL my documents I need on it. :( I tried a couple things I remmebred from back in my tech days and still got no further then it freezing at the same spot. Here is a list of what I did:

Disconnected IDE cables, restarted nothing...
Disconnected IDE Cables, replaced ram from a good computer, nothing...
I removed CMOS battery and unplugged from wall to reset bios..nothing
I changed the jumper to reset the bios nothing

Now since I reset the bios it doesnt see the AGP card, and uses the onboard video. And it comes up with a big "E" on the screen like the manufacturers emblem and says press F2 to goto BIOS, hitting F2 does nothing but excersize my finger muscles....

I eliminated everything but the motherboard, cpu, and posibly the power supply. The CPU in my other computer will not work on this board so I cant swap them out. Anyone got any suggestions besides alot of :knock: :knock: :knock: :knock: :knock:

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

What is the make and model of MoBo?
What is the make, model & wattage of your PSU?
What changes have you made, recently or prior to this trouble?

Try a different PSU, but this sounds more like MoBo
trouble. You may need a bios update.

G'Luck

weird

I didnt make nay changes to the system. Whatis weird is when I came home this afternoon, about 5 hours after the posting of the message the computer started up fine.

Glad it's working!!
Well barring any further trouble, back up everything! Since you stated this is a work machine too...
Check for bios updates...
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back