Computer won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem:

I'm having a difficult time diagnosing my sister's computer. Her computer had recently stop working; nothing will start up when I hit the power button. I had tried to analyze the situation by opening up the case, and everything looked fine; but of course, that's coming from an untrained eye whose scope of knowledge on computer hardware is very limited and elementary. But the one thing I had noticed is that when I tried plugging in the power cord in the power supply unit, the LED light on the PSU would light up for a second then turn off (and flicker when I try to jerk the power cord around). Nevertheless, I haven't ruled out other suspects. I have been searching around the internet and realize that the computer my sister has (emachine) is notably renown for motherboard failures. That being said, I was wondering if you guys could help me with the situation.

P.S. One more thing, the computer stop working around the time we had painters around the house. I assume when they were painting they had unplugged the computer then plugged it back in after they were done. I don't know how much of a relevance this is to the situation at hand, but decided to mention it.

Do the fans spin on either the power supply unit of the cpu? If not get the power supply unit tested it is probably bad.

If it is the PSU, how do I buy the correct power supply unit? Or do they come in all the same sizes and specification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back