Computer wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungmain23

I really need some help. My computer wont turn on, the light comes on and so does the cooling fan but nothing loads and it makes loud beeping noises. I had turned it off and installed additional ram if that makes a differance. After installing it the computer never turned back on just light up and seemed like it tried to start. Is there any way to fix this? Please help. Thanks

Please be more specific. What type of Motherboard is it? What type of ram does it support. How many beeps do you get? Is the memory the right speed (IE: PC 100,133,1600,2100,2700,3200)? Is it less or equal to the Maximum size per bank?

Ok I think i may have found the problem but i dont know how to fix it. The maximum RAM for my computer (HP Pavilion XT963) is 512mb. I was told it was higher and i had installed a 1gb chip. Could this be the problem and if so how could i fix it. Other specs are its OS is Windows XP home edition, the processor is an Intel Celeron 1.3 GHz, the chipset is an Intel 810e, and the installed RAM is 128. When i go to turn it on it makes 8 beeps which go in a 1-3-1 sequence. Please help

If the MAX is 512MB then you need to get 512MB SDRAM or whatever the specs online at HP for your system. You have to use what is recommended. To fix it just remove the old RAM.

I already removed the 1gb chip i installed. should i also remove the original one that was in there? If i replace the original will that get it to work again?

if your computer only works with max 512mb of ram that thats the most you can have, so remove all ram except 512mb or lower and it should work

As of now I only have 128mb of Ram installed and it is still not working. It is the original one that was installed at the same time as the 1gb so is it possible that i just need to replace that one with a brand new chip?

find out what BRANDS, TYPES, SPEED, and SPECs of RAM your motherboard takes. (RTFM) or contact the manufactuer. THEN install the maximum amount your system can handle of the proper type. If you have done so and it still doesn't work, then you have damaged something. BIOS beeps are indicative of a hardware failure. You would be far better off upgrading on such an old system. You can build a fairly cheap budget system between $300- $750 that's still decent. See this articles:

http://computershopper.com/buying-guides/budget_desktops_buying_guide

and

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/19/the-300-pc/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back