TechSpot

Computer won't start

By sw123
Nov 5, 2007
  1. Hi all. I have returned

This time I have an issue...

I was rearranging my room so I could sit in bed and work on my computer. I had my surge protector on and I plugged in main power to the computer(with everything else connected), and my computer made a slow whirring sound, the green power light came on, and the hard drive light blinked about three times every second. I looked inside and turned it on, and I noticed the CPU fan wasn't turning. so I took out the CPU and the fan, took my multimeter to test if the fan was getting voltage. I got 3V. I took the fan to get tested at 3V and it worked perfectly. I have yet to test my power supply.

I'm thinking the motherboard or PSU burned out. Here are my specs:

Emachines T2682(upgraded)
    2.60 GHz Intel Celeron CPU socket 478
    Intel 845GV motherboard
    768 MB RAM
    nVidia GeForce FX5500 PCI
    Western Digital 80 GB Hard drive
    1xDVD-ROM
    1xCD-RW
    1xFloppy drive

May I add the computer was working the day before I moved the computer into my room

It's great to be back at TechSpot!!

-sw123, master of all things computer(at least I'm better than the school tech my school hired)

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Did you ever upgrade the psu?

3. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 752

Never. I'm going to try testing the PSU now.

4. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 752

I tested my PSU. I smelled something burning and I got no voltage. I think my PSU's screwed. What do u think?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.