Computer wont startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Bone

This is second hand info.... I'm trying to fix a nephews PC.

Windows 98..

PC will go through BIOS and start to startup,
just before Windows loads it blanks out.

Any suggestions?

Will it star in safe mode? press F8 at POST screen when it says "Starting Windows 98" You'll get a menu to choose how to start.

ok,
the computer reads

"Invaild system disc"

"Replace disc, press any key"

" Boot from ATAI CD Rom"

There was no Floppy or CD in.

I tried talking him through to see if the Ribbon cables or power cable was plugged in and he said "YES".

Could this be a bad hard drive?

thanks

It could be a bad hard drive or it may just be a screwed up hard drive/partition/filesystem.

You should boot from a floppy or the Windows 98 CD into DOS mode and look in what condition the hard drive is.

I got it to boot to DOS from the CD, but it showed the CD as the A: drive. WTF?
In DOS what do I look for and how?

Thanks

Perhaps there is a RAM drive installed on that machine. A virtual hard drive created out of additional RAM memory. It can be fixed, but I don't know much about that.
A friend of mine once had the same problem. I should fix it for him, although I didn't know very much about computers myself. I stumbled upon this RAM drive and didn't know what to do. Finally, I formatted the drive and reinstalled the OS. :D

First thing to check is whether BIOS recognises the hard drive. If it isn't then there is a problem with HD installation or BIOS settings. Or HD itself.

In DOS what do I look for and how?

In DOS, first look for C: drive (just do "c:" <enter>)
If you can get to C: then all is not lost. Under C: do dir and see if you have anything in there.

If your windows installation is in place, then you just have to reinstall the boot files.

If the C: is empty, then most likely you have successfully formatted it :p

If you can't get to C: then it is no longer formatted or the partition is not there. This is even worse news.

If you run fdisk and it says that you don't have a hard drive installed.. Bad, bad, bad.

Just as its suppose to show the drives, it gave the error. So I couldn't tell if it reconised the C: drive.

I think the BIOS did see the hard drive.
But it showed files in the A: drive when there was no floppy? I booted from the CD and maybe it showed the CD ROM as the Floppy? Maybe it needs a bios update?

The Windows CDROM being shown as a floppy is not an error. Windows installation CD creates a RAM drive containing essential utilities and stuff and names is as A:

ah.... gotcha.
I tried changing drives but I was typing "cd c". ooups I guess its the wrong OS command. lol. I forgot I wasn't in UNIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back