Computer Won't Stay On

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys

So i got my new machine all built I connected everything up, I hit the power button, the heatsink/fan comes on, the computer starts whirring, and it look as though it is about to start up and then it switches off after a split-second.

I've double checked everything, I'm using an Antec truepower 550watt PSU

The configuration of my box :
Mobo :: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU :: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual-Core
HD :: SATA WD 250GB
CD/RW/DVD/RW :: Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)
Video Card :: Asus GeForce 7600 GS 512mb
RAM :: Samsung Dual Channel DDR2 533 PC2-4200 (four 1GB chips = 4GB)

the green light on the mobo is on, i hit power she powers up fans spin then it just doesn't hold the power

what i have done so far to see whats wrong:

I checked the PSU with my other machine, i know the PSU works fine.

I made sure the mobo wasn't touching the case anywhere.

I took it all apart and checked connections, then just put one stick of RAM in and the video card, plugged the mouse and keyboard in and powered it up. same thing, it gets juice the fans roll then it just goes out, it won't hold power.

could it be the RAM?

I don't think it would just shut off if it were ram. Did any pins or jumpers get bent or shorted?

problem solved. thanks for the help

user error, i didn't plug the 12V 4 pin power plug in. i only used the 24pin plug.

Same thing . . . sortta

Hi all. I am new to the boards. I came across this thread and some incidents are similar to mine. Currently I am building a new machine, this will be the second I have built so far. Anyway I have everything hooked up all the correct connections (power and otherwise). System starts up fine for about ten seconds then shuts down. From what I can tell the CPU Fan is not spinning at the time of start up. Which is odd because the connector for the fan is in the correct spot of the motherboard. I have attributed the shut down to the CPU Fan not spinning. Everything else starts up fine, except the CPU fan. Also both my 24-pin and 8-pin power cables are attached to the motherboard. Please advice.

I purchased an open box Intel Pentium D 940 (retail). I think the heatsync was faulty. I am returning it today. But I'd like to here any and all possibilities of what maybe the cause.

Thanks in advance.

Computer won't stay on!

Today my computer won't stay on and I am not for sure what to do? Any suggestions? I am not a real computer "greek", any help would be appreciated.

motownhorseman said:
Today my computer won't stay on and I am not for sure what to do? Any suggestions? I am not a real computer "greek", any help would be appreciated.
Can you provide more details. You say your computer will not stay on. Have you added any new hardware or software or have you changed anything. By providing more details someone may be able to help. My first guess is that your CPU is overheating if it is shutting down after you start

I stepped away from computer for about 5 mintues and once returned it was powered down, and when I tried to turn it on it would start as normal and once the fan would start it would shut down. I haven't installed any new software, hardware or changed anything.

This happened once to my son's computer and when I opened the box I found that the heat sink for the CPU was dislodged from the CPU, one plastic supprot leg was broken off. I fixed it by adding a tywrap to hold it down to the MB. Perhaps you should check that.
You should also check the 12v connector and the heat sink connector if they are plugged in properly . Just some thoughts.. Good luck

motownhorseman said:
I stepped away from computer for about 5 mintues and once returned it was powered down, and when I tried to turn it on it would start as normal and once the fan would start it would shut down. I haven't installed any new software, hardware or changed anything.

You're best off starting your own thread, motownhorseman.

What you're describing is more commonly the result of either poor heat dissipation or a defective PSU. Go to the store and invest in a can of compressed air, remove all the dust that you can from your PC, especially in and around the CPU's heatsink and the system's fans.

If after that you are experiencing the same thing, consider replacing your PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back