Computer wont stop beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi...

i recently purchased a brand new compaq 1500, but it came with 256... so i tried to upgrade my memory and it didn't work... it would just beep. So i put everything back together just the ways it was before, but it still beeps...

Any solutions... someoone mentioned resetting the motherboard???

any suggestions greatly appreciated

just short beeps... but they keep on going forever... as soon as i power up and that's it...

heres where i think is my fault, i bought a 512 (333) memory card to add, but i didnt realize my machine bus runs at 400 but anyways... i added the card, powered on, didnt work then i removed the memory card while the computer was on...

the computer still worked fine... but when i turn on the computer the following day... i started getting the beeps...

my friend told me that there might be a swicth in the motherboard that resets...

but i dont see no reset button or the likes...

You can try to reset the BIOS configuration by taking the CMOS battery out for a couple of hours. I dont know how that will help but hey, its worth a try.

alphafighter said:
then i removed the memory card while the computer was on...
there's a reasonable chance you electrically damaged something, if you removed a ram module while the machine was on.
i bought a 512 (333) memory card to add, but i didnt realize my machine bus runs at 400 but anyways
usually, the system would move all the ram modules down to the slowest module's speed (in this case the DDR333 spec), so even if you did get it working there would be a performance loss.

your compaq is an oem build. consequently, you'll need special ram made specifically for your model. because you opened your case (among other thigns), your warranty is voided.

what's more is that compaq actually sold a new computer with only 256Mb of ram. that's appaling by today's standards, especially considering how cheaply 512Mb can be had for. it just goes to show you how the corporations short-change people to make themselves a bit of extra green.

the next time you get a computer, steer clear of OEM and get yourself a custom build.

You may have damaged the RAM and or motherboard by removing it with the power on. 2 rules to live by
1. Never work inside a PC that is plugged in much less turned on.
2. When handling PC components always wear a ESD (electro static discharge) wrist band. You can get one for $5 at RadioShack.

As for your problem you need to reset the CMOS/BIOS by removing the battery and moving a jumper from 2 pins to another 2 pins and back. Do you have your manual and if so please look up the procedure for resetting CMOS/BIOS. You probably won't have to reset anything in BIOS as it is an OEM and should default to the run mode.

This may get you back up and running. IF you need more help let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back