Computer won't turn on - CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear that I've done something extremely stupid to the CPU. The CPU cooling fan has been extremely noisy, so I was wanting to change it. I'm living in Kenya and finding a fan to replace it was not as easy as in the USA.

Someone suggested using WD40 on the fan. So I removed the fan (No I didn't spray WD40 inside the computer!). Wiped the fan dry and allowed it to sit for a few hours. Then I connected the fan to the MB (only the electric connection, I didn't put the heat sink or fan on the CPU) and covered the fan in a paper towel to catch any WD40 that might spray out. I turned the computer on for maybe 30-60 seconds maximum to allow the fan to spin. The computer shut itself down. It never did begin to boot. It gave me an odd one line message that I can't remember. It seemed to mention something about pooling.

Now it won't restart at all. Sometimes when I push the on switch, it lights up briefly and the internal fans begin to spin, but for 1-2 seconds is all. Then nothing as if there is no current. I've checked all the electrical connections, the UPS, etc.

Could I have ruined the CPU? Any other possible sources of this problem?

Um, well i can say unless you ran it for hours you shouldnt have damaged the cpu. I acidentally ran a P4 for 1 1/2 hrs with the fan off because of a bad fan port on the mobo didnt hurt it just really bad performance. Try clearing the CMOS by pulling the battery or moving the jumper that is around the battery over and back.

and wd40 attracts dust its like a film of dust grabbiness, i put it on my ceiling fan to see if it worked and it attracts dust...

I disassembled the computer yesterday trying to see if there were any obvious problems or shorts. Inside the power supply I found a small dead lizard.
I've finally given in and taken the computer to a repair shop. I prefer fixing it myself, but I don't have the equipment or knowledge to start checking beyond what Tedster posted earlier.
I'm hoping it is a power supply problem, but it seems odd that it might have happened while I was working on the CPU fan.

I disassembled the computer yesterday trying to see if there were any obvious problems or shorts. Inside the power supply I found a small dead lizard.
I've finally given in and taken the computer to a repair shop. I prefer fixing it myself, but I don't have the equipment or knowledge to start checking beyond what Tedster posted earlier.
I'm hoping it is a power supply problem, but it seems odd that it might have happened while I was working on the CPU fan.

I used to work in West Africa and some of the local wildlife caused us similar problems. We used to have some sort of commercial made fine mesh covers for the PSU fans so it might be worth seeing if these are still available. Your dead lizard probably shorted something out when you moved the PC case?
Mark you, Nigerian lizards are 30cms long and run like gazelles on their back feet so we had different issues with them - used to steal yellow golf balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back