Computer Won't Turn On *Laptop*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup Guys,

I know there has been a lot of posts about this subject but I can't seem to find a solution. I have a HP Pavilion zu5120us Notebook PC. I was on the internet last night and fell asleep. Computer was working fine. I woke up 4 hours later to find my Computer Off. I tried to turn back on, and as many people have experienced, It won't turn on. I took the case off of the Fans (It has 2 separate parts of the bottom case to remove, you probably already knew this) and I sprayed some compressed air inside to blow out all the dust. I took everything I could off, which was only the battery and the Hardrive. Unplugged it, let it sit for about 15 mins. Then I put it all together and go to turn it on. Same thing. So I take the battery out wait a few seconds and put it back in. This time I hold the laptop to my ear when I attempt to turn it on. A fan turns on inside or something that sounds like it but it's not the 2 big fans right next to where I plug in the Power Chord. From my experience taking Xbox's apart I know that there is a small fan on the CPU maybe or something that turns on whenever there is a current going through the xbox. so I'm thinking thats the fan maybe. Not very Laptop Smart. Anyways No light indicators come on that say I have power or even that my Power Chord is plugged in but yet I can hear that fan inside the laptop. I hope that someone knows what I can do. I'm pretty much limited to what I have right now because I'm in Iraq and parts will take time to get here, not only that I'd have to have my wife buy them and she might buy the wrong thing. So if there are any suggestions please let me know. Thanks in Advance Guys.

Well all I can think of is that the AC adaptor died while you were asleep, the laptop ran on the battery until it drained. So now you have a dead adaptor and a very low battery. Is there any local PC shop (not likely I know) where you could have the adaptor checked or replaced? Do you have access to a voltmeter? If yes check the output of the adaptor (across center pin and outside metal end) Does anyone else with you have the same HP, you can temporarily use that battery to check Laptop health/working condition.

Cheers.

Well the green light on the adaptor comes on when connected to a power outlet. Could it be that the cord from the box to the Computer is done? I'm going to check with Commo to see if they have a voltmeter here that I can use. Also I think another guy has an HP, I'll try his adapter and hopefully it'll work. If not do you know any other solutions? Thanks for the help so far, I'll get back to you once I can.

I have noticed with my Pavillion , that when the adapter has been left in a long time the computer will not start. Then I unplug the power and start on battery alone and it worked . HP recommends what they call " Battery calibration "
You will have to search at HP for instructions . It did help.
That is if you find your battery and power adapter are not fried.

Well I'm glad to hear that. Because I tested my Power Chord on my buddies Computer and it works. So I know my Power Chord Works and my Battery Seems to work. Now I just have to find a way to charge my battery enough to turn on my PC. Does that sound like my only solution? If so I'm probably screwed because I don't think anyone has the same type Computer as I. I left everything unplugged today while we went out to "Do Our Thing" which was about 9 hours. Came back and plugged it all in, same results as before. I wish I knew more about computers so I knew how to fix it but I'm afraid I don't know enough. I'm Hoping one of you Computer Wizards has a good Idea, Thanks to Kirock and Liquidlen for all your help.

I get why you think the power chord is O.K. but what makes you think the battery is ok. Did you get some response on battery power alone or are you seeing any light indicators?
Can your battery go in your friends box?
You need some response , otherwise the battery maybe just dead.
They are by design good for about 3-5 years ,How old is yours?

Ya the fan noise I heard inside the Laptop was when the Power Chord wasn't connected. It still does it although the noise now is a little fainter. The lights on the Laptop don't come on at all but the light on the transformer for the Power Chord comes on when I plug it into the wall. But when I plug it into my Laptop nothing happens. I plugged it into my buddies laptop and it worked. He has an "Army" HP which is different than mine so the batteries aren't compatable. I looked all around for someone with the same laptop as mine but no luck yet. My Best guess is that the thing I plug the power into isn't transporting the power to my computer. Maybe something got unpluged somehow. It didn't move at all and I don't shake it around so I don't think thats it. Do you think I need a new PSU? One of my buddies has an HP that doesn't work but you can get it to start up if you hold it just right. Would the PSU in that one work in mine you think? They're completely different HP's. My Laptop is around 30 months old, from when I bought it. If you need to know anything else let me know.

Clean the terminals on the battery & computer with a clean eraser. Make sure you keep eraser dust out of your box.
You are looking for a light indicator that the battery is charging or in use.
As for swapping parts! I do not know enough about Latops. Using a PSU from another unit without investigating is dangerous.
I would proceed cautiously , but not before confirming whether or not you just need a new battery.
Let us know what you discover.

yes , copper colored. just watch as you rub with the eraser the little particles don't go inside the computer. Also you don't rub too hard as to deform the terminal's position or shape.

Alright I had a problem. My Terminals on the battery are incased in plastic and verticle, and the ones on the computer are also verticle so I couldn't get to them with an eraser. I blew some compressed air over both and tried that but still same results. Faint noise and no lights. I was reading some other forums and noticed that AC Adaptors have been a big problem with HP's which could possibly be my problem. Still looking on a fix. Don't really feel like waiting for new MB. Any Ideas?

Correction on my last Post. I don't believe it's the AC Adaptor because the Green light on it comes on. What I meant to say was the AC Jack. This could be my problem.

try cleaning with a Q-tip swab with a touch of alcohol.
As to the Jack , that would entail testing with a voltmeter and I guess at that point you might as well test the PSU .
However , I have no advice to give you inside that box.
Other than that ,I can only stick with what I said earlier.

Alright thanks Liquid. I'm looking at a site that explains how to fix the jack. I'll let you know how everything goes. Thanks for all the help

Alright I have a new discovery with my Laptop. After reading about the jack last night I went and took the thing completely apart. Everything but the Screen that is, I just separated that from the rest of the laptop. So I took Everything apart and checked the jack. Everything seems to be in tact and looks like it's supposed to. So I was just dumbfounded. I let it sit overnight because I fell asleep trying to think of what to do next. In the morning after tweaking the jack a little to make it easier to connect to adaptor, I put it back together. Plug everything in, put the battery in, and plugged the Power Chord in. No Lights still. So I press my ear to the Laptop and hit the on button. To my Surprise nothing happens. No noise, no lights, nothing. The thought of me owning a 1500 dollar paper weight is starting to hit me. I pull the Power Chord out and what do i hear? The Fan that I was hearing turns on. So I listen carefully and plug the power chord back in. The fan turns off. And when removed again turns back on. What do you think it is? According to that the Laptop is registering that the Power Chord is plugged in because it turns the fan off. Could it be a bad Battery? Maybe the transformer is busted and I'm pushing too much or too little power through the Chord? I have it plugged into 220w, and the output is 120w. Is it possible the transformer went out and fried my Laptop? and if so what is the fan noise I'm hearing inside? Because it isn't on after I remove the battery and put it back in. It comes on when I hit the Power. I hope something sparks in your head of what it is because I'm not sure. Still Looking for someone with the same Laptop though. Or one that will even charge my battery. No luck so far. Thanks for the help in advance.

Well I tried leaving the Power plugged in for 4 hours to see if the Lights might be out. No Luck. Tried using 110w Power Supply. No Luck. Tried Holding on button for 5 10 15 20 25 30 and 60 seconds. No Luck.

please post the question only once. You asked for help for the same issue in another forum.

I posted on the other forum because this has turned into a battery/Power problem when I oringinally though it might be a mobo problem. Was just trying to get into the right forum.

Luda-Chris, (good name btw),

Try removing the battery completely and just use the AC adaptor (plug it in the wall socket of course). If the adaptor is working AND the laptop is not fried then she'll boot up no problem. If it doesn't then it's either the adaptor or something more serious with your laptop. The battery maybe so dead it's pulling down the output of the adaptor, this is why I want you to try without the battery.

When you tried your adaptor on your friends laptop did you remove his battery 1st? Otherwise it probably just ran off his battery (if your adaptor is actually dead). Try it again on his computer removing his battery. Then you'll know for sure if your adaptor is working.

From your original post I thought it was the adaptor and the battery ran over night until it lost most of it's charge.

Cheers.

Well I tried the AC Adaptor on my buddies computer and it worked just fine without the battery. Tried the same on mine with no results. So I guess the problem is more Serious. But I did find out what the noise is coming from, maybe it'll help. There is 4 things incased in what seems to be metal. They have a printing on the top:

927BL
4122Q

Dunno what they are, but I'm guessing that when the battery is in and I hit the power the sound is electricity running through them. They don't run when the AC is plugged in though.

Also as a little side note. I had the AC Power in and watched closely when I was plugging in the Battery and I saw a little spark when the terminals touched, so I'm guessing that there is power coming out of the battery. My Current theory is that my AC Jack is probably Dead. My Battery is dead. But my Computer is fine. The only way to test this out is to somehow charge my battery or find another way to power my Computer. Also I did a little Investigating last night as noticed that the Gateway Computer's we have here Use the Same 14.8v Battery that my Laptop does, only it's shaped different. The Terminal's Look Exactly the same as the ones on my Laptop/Battery. Could it be possible for me to charge my Battery through that? It's going to be tricky to get my battery into the hole to get it to charge but if I can "Borrow" one of these gateways for long enough It might work. What do you guys think?

Well if your AC adaptor powered up your friends notebook with his battery removed then your adaptor is working. So you may have a more serious problem then a dead battery or adaptor. I'm not sure if HP does things different maybe removing the battery disables the notebook? Is there any little switch (pushbutton) thing in the battery compartment? If so try holding this in with the adpator plugged in when u turn on the notebook.

The spark you saw came from the output of the adaptor to the battery and tells me your battery is pretty low (drawing alot of current from the adaptor).

IF you could manage to get the other battery to connect to your notebook then it's worth a try. You can use some jumpers and aligator clips possibly.

I'm sorry to say but it's starting sound like you have something dead in the notebook itself. I don't know what those things are (927BL etc), I tried to look them up at the HP webiste but no luck. Are they ICs or fans what's your best guess? IC the make noise is way bad!! Do they get hot?

Well the Things definently aren't fans. They are about the size of a Dime and the Casing makes a D pattern. 2 metal parts come out and inside you can see that they coil around. They look like Copper. I have no Clue what IC's are so I can't tell you much about that. I didn't notice a button by the battery but I did Notice an extra button on the mobo. It's right above the wireless button and is concealed. Not sure what it is. Maybe a Reset button? I'm not sure really but it did find it strange that there wasn't a way to press it without taking the Case off the laptop. I'm starting to get the feeling that I own a 1500 Dollar Paper weight too. Hopefully not but if so at least I can hold down a lot of papers with that thing, hehe. I guess I'll just have to wait til I get out of Iraq to build my own Desktop. Always wanted to do that.

BTW With the Jumper Cable Idea. What could I use? Because there are 7 male parts and the female parts are incased in plastic so they are hard to get to. Could I just try to touch them together with copper wire? could be quite a challenge with them being so close. Also do you I need every single one to connect?

Lud..... Quote
" I have it plugged into 220w, and the output is 120w. Is it possible the transformer went out and fried my Laptop? and if so what is the fan noise I'm hearing inside?"

What exactly do you mean by this statement?
Do you have a 110 plug (the part that goes into the wall socket) plugged into a 220 volt adapter and then into the wall ?
If you plugged your adapter (Which I take to be 110 Volt ) directly to the computer from a 220 wall socket, you most assuredly burnt some component out , probably starting with any transformer (Adapter ) , PSU and maybe the battery.
I hope I misunderstand what you wrote.

That button on the mobo is most likely your CMOS reset button. It resets your BIOS to defaults settings, not a bad thing to do actually, it won't hurt it.

Yes try to connect the male and female parts of the battery and notebook battery input terminal with copper wire. The aligator clips are actually just the clips on the ends copper wire to make it easier to "hold" the wire in place. They're called aligator clips because they have little "teeth" to allow them to grap and hold.

An IC is "integrated circuit" and it's all the little chips you see mounted on the motherboard(including the CPU). They have little leads sticking out and are solder to the board for electrical contact. These are called DIPs and come in 14, 20 , etc pin versions. DIP=dual in-line package. But what you describe sounds like some kind of choke. This is a coil of wire used as an inductor. Not sure what the application for an inductor is that mobo, inductor is only a guess on my part anyways.

Hopefully you used a 220V adpator to bring down the wall voltage right? I assumed you did because usually the 110V AC adpator wouldn't plug into a 220V wall socket directly anyways.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back