Computer won't turn on... most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everybody!

I'm having a rather frustrating time at the moment. About a week ago, my computer stopped booting into Windows. It started by blue screen of deathing (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) about five minutes after booting into Windows. Then, it wouldn't even boot into Windows, it would blue screen and restart. So, I tried to do a "Repair Installation" Windows install because I thought it was a driver error, but it kept saying that Windows couldn't find my hard drives. They also show up differently in my bios now. (I'm using two 200gb SATA hard drives) I tried installing Windows onto an IDE hard drive, but that kept blue screening as well, this time throwing out various memory errors.

So, I replaced the memory, and I booted it up and before it even got to the Windows Install screen, the computer totally
froze. Then, I couldn't restart it. The power light would come on for a couple of seconds, then go off again. All drives, fans and lights were working inside the computer but that was all. I figured it was the CPU because I had a slight mishap the other day involving the heat sink, the CPU and the fact that the thermal paste had baked the two together, resulting in me ripping it out of the motherboard (no bent pins, but it wasn't fun). Either way, I replaced the CPU and it booted first time no worries. I restarted it and went into the BIOS to re-do my settings (I reset the bios at the same time I replaced the CPU) and after loading into the bios, it promptly froze on me again.

I've tried a working PSU (it's the one running on the computer I'm using to post this) and it didn't change a thing.

Also, if I unplug something like my RAM or video card, I get the error beeps. Both times I've gotten it to start since the second time have involved both reseating the RAM and unplugging and re-plugging the CPU power connector.

Now, it only starts up occasionally, and only for a couple of seconds. Can anyone help me?

Specs:

AMD Sempron64 3000+ CPU (Brand New)
Asus K8N-E Deluxe Motherboard
2x512 Geil PC3200 DDR400 Memory
2x200g Seagate SATA HDDs
Radeon X800 PRO Video Card
450Watt PSU

I think that you may need to work from a new motherboard and up. I have a sneaky feeling...that your overheating episode, may have messed your mobo up,

If you have been switching CPUs about you may have confused your OS into thinking there had been a major component change and the BSD is in fact the usual error message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back