Computer Won't Turn On

By TheQ
Oct 27, 2006
  1. Ok so I decided to listen to some music while I took a nap, so I played music and shut my moniter off and layed down. When I woke up I noticed the music wasn't playing so I went over to check, and the screen was black and nothing happened if I moved the mouse or pressed a key. I reset the computer, and it worked fine for like two minutes and then it went black again. Now it won't even turn on. The light on the computer turns on, and usually it lets out two beeps, and now it just stays silent. I haven't changed anything, what could be wrong?
  2. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

Have you unplugged the system from wall power and let it set overnight?
    Is there any way to test the psu and other parts in another system? If the cpu is dead that will keep one from booting or hearing any beeps. As well you might look into resetting your bios. Do you have a manual for your system?
    Just throwing some thoughts your way.
  3. TheQ

TheQ TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's currently unplugged and I'm going to leave it like that for a while. Also, what are bios? To test the parts I would have to take the computer apart, I'm saving that for later. And no I don't have a manual, it's a pretty old computer.
  4. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

Bios is the Basic Input/Output System, the code that boots your system and then hands it over to your operating system. It detects your hardware such as cpu, memory, vid card, etc, and sets it all up for the os. If you can do some googling for the make/model of your system if it's not custom built, you can usualy get a manual for it. This would be a good start in diagnosing your system further.
  5. AXXEL

AXXEL TS Rookie Posts: 32

MAN!..that is the same thing that happened to me just a few days ago. I think it's the RAM but i don't have enough money to buy and see if thats the problem.

:blackeye: (i know how you feel):confused:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.