Computer Won't Turn on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talinok

I've just gotten the last part (The RAM) of a new computer that I was building myself. I put everything in its rightful place (I think), and I've gotten quality parts as well... But my computer won't turn on.

When I hook it into power, the light on the motherboard goes on, so I know it's getting power, but when I press the power button, the light goes on on the front of the computer, but the computer doesn't come on. A fan in the back flashes on and off (LED fan) - it looks like it's getting power for a little and then not... But the light on the mobo stays on the whole time... Aaaaggghhh - I've checked every connection, etc.

Any idea what my problem could be?

Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU
Intel D975XBX2 (975X Express chipset) Mobo
Intel Conroe E6600 Core 2 Duo Processor (LGA 775)
Two Radeon X1950 Pro (Crossfire Internal Interconnect) GPU's
1GB Pair of Kingston ECC DDR2 PC 5300 RAM
Some misc. PCI cards and 4 fans (+4 for individual things - PSU, CPU, GPUs)

Talinok said:
I put everything in its rightful place (I think),

Well thats encouraging to start with, if your not sure if you did something right, then start from scratch, check everything is seated correctly and that the front panel wires are in their correct place on the board, make sure that the hardware such as video cards are working OK and that the RAM is the right type, make sure any jumpers on the board are in the right place, especially if you have one that resets the BIOS to defaults, some mobo makers leave the jumpers in the reset position.

Regards

I re-checked eveything (the cords, I mean), then I unhooked and hooked up everything again and checked it again (still the same problem)

I thought of the BIOS first as well, and I red my mobo manual - I moved the jumper around etc., and if it was the bios, the mobo wouldve beeped...

I tried the power supply in different positions on the surge protector, the surge protector plugged into different wall sockets, etc. (everything else on it works just fine)

I can't help but think that the blinking LED on the fan is the key to the diagnosis of this one...

I'm really frustrated - I thought I'd be well on my way into installation, etc. and eventually use of my new computer by now =/

Any ideas?

----------EDIT--------

I can't check individual parts (this isn't my computer that I'm using right now and I have nothing to check the parts with), but I took special care to make sure that everything in my mobo is compatible with it (especially the RAM).

I'd recommend stripping down to the basics to help troubleshoot.

Reset CMOS, then remove everything from your mobo and take it out of your case.
Set the mobo on a box beside your case and only instal the following:
-CPU/heatsink
-One stick of ram
-One graphics card
-Connect the psu to the graphics card and your mobo. Check in your manual but you MUST have 2 or 3 connections to the motherboard. The 24pin, the 12vATX, and sometimes there is a special psu connection for graphics that goes to the motherboard. All are essential for boot up.
-Connect the case's speaker connection to the motherboard
-Connect your monitor to the graphics card.

At this point, do you see any LED lights lit up on your board?

Next use a screwdriver and quickly touch the two pins that normally connect to your case's power on switch. This will short the switch and attempt to boot your system.

Can you tell us exactly what you see, hear when you short the power on pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back