Computer would not boot at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I was doing a system restore on my computer and then it was stuck in one point for a long time. I turned off my computer by pressing the power button and when I turned it back on, it wouldn't boot at all. At startup it gave me a list of options..
Starting Windows normally, safe mode, last known good configuration all wouldn't work. They just lead me to the Windows loading screen and then the computer reboots itself after a few seconds of loading.

Windows recovery console won't work either. It'll say "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" and give me a 0x00000024 stop error. It tells me to run a chkdsk which I can't because I can't get past the loading screen at all and I don't have a Windows CD either.

I use a Windows XP Media Center Edition desktop. I want to keep all my files.. What should I do?

Can you boot into Safe Mode or is this not avaliable either? Did yopu check to see if your cables are set properly?

Your error is 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM which is defined as a problem occurring within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Nope, none of the options work. I can never get past the bootscreen because my computer just reboots itself after a few seconds.

I did check my cables. And I'm sure the cables aren't related to my problem anyway because my computer was working fine before I did the system restore.

Okay, have a friend who is also tech savvy (you seem to have working knowledge as well) and slave your harddrive into his/her system.

Then from their system you can access your harddrive (anyway, most of the time this works). Let them run harddrive diagnostics as well as ChkDsk /r. You should be able to access your files/folders as well and burn all your important info to DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back