Computer would not boot-Have gotten to DOS but can't get any further

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a computer given to me that had sat for two years. I could not get it to boot at first. The person that gave the computer to me did not know what version of Windows is on this computer. She thought it was either 2000, or ME. Now I have gotten in to Dos but, I was wondering how do I tell what version of Windows is loaded on this machine? Also is there a way or a DOS command that I can use from here to bring up Windows?

I am also looking for any advice that can be given on how you would try to "whip" this computer back to a running state. It has plenty of room for upgrades (I think after opening it up), and would like to keep it.

Many Thanks
os

hmm.. an idea since your in dos is to try and find the c:/win.... directory.. if its a 2000 wouldnt the directory be eg: c:/winnt and winME c:/windows ?

Your easiest fix is to format C and reinstall Windows, since it's new to you then you have nothing on the HDD to save.
Else you'll need the old Windows boot disk from this macheen and hopefully run the fixboot command from DOS prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back