Computers Are ALL Freezing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently bought seven new computers for a lab at the place that i work at and they are all custom.

These are the specs:
MSI Geforce NX8500GT Video cards
AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
2 Gigs Patriot DDR2 PC2-6400 Extreme Performance RAM
Western Digital 160 GB Hard Drives
600W OCZ GameXstream PSU
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Montherboards

they all run like a dream except when i install some games on all of them, during the install the computer will just randomly freeze up, mouse and all.

now i'm well aware that sometimes you get bad eggs in hardware (ive already had to return a video card when it died 20 minutes into using it.) but when ALL of the computers have problems, it leads me to believe the problem is in the software.

im baffled, because when a computer freezes, its usually a ram problem so i thought maybe video card drivers. so i tried reinstalling the video card driver from the disk as the one i installed on the model computer before i ghosted the drive was downloaded from the nvidia website. and that seemed to make things a LITTLE better but they still occasionally freeze up just when im installing things or multitasking big time. actually im lying, one of them hasn't frozen once.

so could someone help me out here, i just dont know what could be causing every computer to freeze, the only thing i can think of is power supply but as you can see i have a very decent one and its 600 Watts so i doubt that.

thanks in advance for any help.

i already explained the video card driver situation, and i have the most up to date NIC, but just a question, why do you think it would be the NIC specifically

pdyckman@comcas said:
Are you very sure that the Ram you are using is totally compatible with the motherboards that you are building on?

I ask the same thing, i found out the PC i bought was using 1.9v ram where as the motherboard supports 1.8v ram so i Had to underclock the ram to stop the Pc from locking up, it maybe the reason your having the problems.

7 new machines all with the same problem = get heavy with the source of these things! You should not have to do the fixing!
Maybe not the answer you wanted, but why give yourself the grief and aggro?

pdyckman@comcas said:
Are you very sure that the Ram you are using is totally compatible with the motherboards that you are building on?

yes, extremely sure, if you want to check for yourself just to make sure im not a complete retard :approve:, you are very welcome to.

AlbertLionheart said:
7 new machines all with the same problem = get heavy with the source of these things! You should not have to do the fixing!
Maybe not the answer you wanted, but why give yourself the grief and aggro?

well mostly because I built them custom, and since i dont know where the problem is exactly, i would have to return each separate part, and im not about to subject myself to that grief yet.

Darth_Terra1 said:
i found out the PC i bought was using 1.9v ram where as the motherboard supports 1.8v ram so i Had to underclock the ram to stop the Pc from locking up

that is very curious, i will have to check that out, if this works i will probably kiss you. seems weird though, you would think two brand new components would not have that issue. oh well we shall see shan't we.

Ooops - I jumped to the conclusion that you bought these things in!
Compatibilty issues happen all the time so don't feel you have been picked on.
You say one of them has not frozen once - is there anything about that machine that is different? If you swap say the network card with another can you shift the problem with it? I know it might sound time consuming, but I suspect it will be the quickest way of tracking down what is causing the problem.
Kissing is not necessary - we do this for the hell of it!

well, everything is built in, except for the video card, so i cant do much swaping there. although, every computer has the exact same components, except for one, which i forgot to mention, and could probably help solve this, and it is the one who's video card never worked so i temporarily put a geforce 5500 which is considerably worse but it was all i had, and one of the games i was installing on it kept freezing over and over whereas the other computers would freeze once during installation, i would restart, and it would go through all the way. so that could lead us to believe that something is not working well with the video cards...... maybe???

Check on the Asus site that you have the latest BIOS updates for these boards - you can see the revision numbers at the opening boot page.
I use Asus boards and have had the occasional problem with them - trouble is that sometimes Asus are so arrogant they will not admit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back